Healthy for Life: T.E. Atkins UM Wellness Program
Missouri S&T Classes
Eat for Life
Discover the benefits of this innovative approach to weight management. This ten week program uses mind-body practices (meditations and yoga), the principles of mindful and intuitive eating, skills training, and group support to guide you in making lifestyle changes that will help you create a healthier relationship to your food, mind, and body. If you have a history of chronic dieting, have rigid “healthy” rules about eating, or find yourself eating when you’re stressed, bored, or unhappy, this may be the program for you.
Summer 2014 Online
- Orientation: May 30
- Class: Week of June 6 through week of August 8
- To register for the Online Class, contact RossyL@umsystem.edu
- Cost: $50 for faculty, staff and family members ($25 rebate with full participation); $180 for community members. Faculty and staff can attend with spouse/partner for one fee.
- Watch informational videos.
- Wednesdays, 12:15-12:45 p.m., Havener Center, Shamrock Room
Stress-reduction meditation is offered on a drop-in basis with no pre-registration needed. Generally participants will meet for 30 minutes and be led through stress-reducing breathing techniques. No experience is needed and the class is free.
Million Step Pedometer Program
To learn more about this program, click here.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction
Helping employees manage stress effectively is a key goal of Healthy for Life, the Thomas E. Atkins Wellness Program. The wellness program offers eight-week mindfulness-based stress reduction classes at minimal cost to benefit-eligible employees looking to manage today's busy lifestyles in a healthy way. This 8–week class teaching meditation, yoga and other mind-body techniques for managing stress.
- Orientation: Wednesday, January 22, at 4:45 p.m.
- Classes: Wednesdays, January 29 - March 19, 4:45 p.m. - 6:45 p.m.
- Full Day Retreat: Saturday, March 8th, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Contact: Maureen Hall at Maureenhal@gmail.com
- Cost: There is a $40 registration fee (faculty/staff/family members), $20 rebate for full participation. Faculty and staff can attend with partner/spouse for one fee.
- S&T Fitness Center is equipped with a wide array of top level cardio machines (many with touch screens and TV); free weights including dumbbells, Olympic weight bars/plates and racks; weight machines; and a core area with exercise balls and medicine balls. The facility is air conditioned. If you would like more information, call (573) 341-4106.
- The Centre offers classes in aquatics, group workouts and sports leagues. If you would like more information or an up-to-date listing of classes and membership fees, call (573) 341-2386.
- The Zone offers Cheap Skate sessions on Tuesdays from 6-8 p.m. Fun, family environment with roller skating, play area, arcade and snack bar. There is a $4 fee which includes quad skate rental. For more information, call (573) 341-5700.
Ride to Wellness Odometer Program
To learn more about this program, click here.
Phelps County Regional Medical Center offers a variety of support groups throughout the year—Alzheimer’s, Diabetes, Cancer, and many more. If you have questions about any of the groups, please call PRMRC at (573) 458-7695.
Phelps County Regional Medical Center offers support to its patients and members of the surrounding communities in their efforts to stop the use of tobacco in any form. You’ll receive a packet including:
- Information and on quitting all forms of tobacco use and staying quit
- Current updates on tobacco cessation aids such as medication, gum, patches, electric cigarettes, etc.
- Material showing what to expect with regard to withdrawal symptoms, cravings, and how to deal with “triggers” such as boredom, anger, and stress.
- You’ll also receive information on resources that best suit your needs.
For additional information on quitting smoking and tobacco use, please call 573-458-7691, or go to www.pcrmc.com.
- Castleman Hall, Room 138
Fridays, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
This course addresses nutrition, physical activity and peer support. The discounted enrollment fee is $39.95 per month if you use the portal. If you choose not to enroll via the portal, the cost is $42.95 per month. To access the portal, visit https://wellness.weightwatchers.com and use ID 46814 and passcode WW46814.
This is an ongoing program that allows you to enroll anytime. Wellness Ambassadors are those people who are eager to help spread the wellness word to their colleagues, friends and family. They spend 5 minutes a week to forward an e-mail, mention an event or program during a staff meeting, encourage healthy behaviors, etc. Some Ambassadors spend more time promoting wellness by staffing a booth during a health fair, leading a class or coming up with great ideas for new programs. If this sounds like something you are interested in, please contact Wellness.
Taking care of ourselves during the workday helps us be more productive and have more energy for our work and our lives beyond work. Participants learn how to balance being engaged with taking time for quick recovery techniques throughout the day in order to meet the challenges of a busy workplace. Design your own plan for improvement and find ways of structuring your workplace to create a culture of health and wellness. Understand and overcome the barriers to greater personal and professional success. Contact Lynn Rossy, Ph.D., Health Psychologist for Healthy for Life, for more details and to schedule a workshop for your area.