Classes: Kansas City
Discounts for faculty and staff by location:
Classes at other locations:
- Eat for Life
- Million Step Pedometer Program
- Physical activity (running, tai chi)
- Ride to Wellness Odometer Program
- Show Me Better Health
- Weight Watchers
Eat for Life is a 10-week program that helps participants learn to have a healthy relationship with their food and their bodies. This is not your regular weight loss program. In fact, the first thing you will be asked to do is throw out your diets and begin to learn how to use the wisdom of your body to guide how you eat, what you eat and how you relate and use your body.
Go to the Weight Management webpage for details.
Lower your stress and relax for a few minutes while listening to an audio recording by Dr. Lynn Rossy, Healthy for Life’s Health Psychologist. All you need is a room and a music player or computer. If you are interested in facilitating a weekly meditation session in your own building, email Laurie for simple details.
The Million Step Pedometer Program is a simple walking program designed to get faculty, staff and their families up and moving. Go at your own pace--no time limit applies. You are a success if you take more steps today than you did yesterday. Rebates and prizes are available. Learn more and join the program now....
MBSR is designed to help change your relationship with stress and begin to live a more conscious life in order to make choices and engage in behaviors that increase your vitality, effectiveness and happiness. The eight-week program is offered at various times throughout the year, depending on your campus.
Visit the Stress Reduction webpage for details.
Join the Couch to 5k Challenge
The Wellness Ambassadors for the School of Biological Sciences and Swinney Recreation Center (SRC) invite all faculty and staff to participate in the inaugural Couch to 5K challenge! Whether you looking to run your first 5K, improve your personal bests or simply to get more physically active, the Couch to 5K is a great way to do it! The program progresses slowly and comfortably, effectively addressing multiple fitness levels.
- Participants must be members of SRC. Please call SRC at 816.235.2712 to join today.
- SRC Wellness Coordinator, Shannon Hutsler, will guide the 9-week program
- Meet Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 1:00pm at SRC’s Indoor Track
- Week one kicks off on Monday, August 12th
- If you have questions or are interested in signing up, please contact Shannon Hutsler at firstname.lastname@example.org / 816.235.5425 or Mary Flores at Floresm@umkc.edu / 816-235-5427 by Friday, August 9th.
- You can follow the program wherever you are, whenever you’d like! To download your own version of the program, visit this link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Tai Chi for Health helps improve flexibility and muscle strength, increase heart/lung activity, align posture, improve balance, and integrate the mind and body. The program is shown by scientific study to be effective in reducing pain and improving quality of life and balance. Almost anyone with arthritis or any physical condition can learn this program to improve health and quality of life. It is an easy, safe, effective exercise and supported by the Arthritis Foundation of America.
|Volker Campus, Administrative Center|
|Mondays, September 8 - November 24, 2014
12:00 - 12:50 p.m.
September 15, 22 and 29
|Gillham Park Room||September 8
- $30 for 6 weeks, or $55 for 12 weeks.
- Pre-registration is required.
- Pay by credit card by calling (816) 252-5051. Or, pay by check made payable to University of Missouri Extension; mail to: University of Missouri Extension | 1106 West Main Street | Blue Springs, MO 64015 | Attn: Tai Chi Class.
- Loose, comfortable street clothes and flat shoes are appropriate; no need for exercise mat.
- For more information, contact Dr. Nina Chen at (816) 252-5051 or email@example.com.
- Classes taught by Dr. Chen, Ph.D., CFLE Human Development Specialist for MU Extension.
The Ride to Wellness Odometer Program is a simple biking program designed to get faculty, staff and their family up and moving. Go at your own pace--no time limit applies. Rebates and prizes are available. Learn more and join the program now....
Healthy for Life invites you to join the six-week Show Me Better Health program, facilitated by the Kansas City Regional Arthritis Center. Learn to care for your own ongoing health condition or that of a loved one, including diabetes, asthma, heart disease, back pain, cancer, arthritis, fibromyalgia, and depression.
When: Thursdays, October 2 through November 6, 2014
Where: Volker Campus, Administrative Center
Cost: $20 (full refund if you attend at least 5 of the 6 weeks)
Register: By September 24 by contacting Orvie Prewitt: (816) 932-2351 (office); (816) 305-4009 (cell); OPrewitt@Saint-Lukes.org
This course is open to UMKC faculty and staff, as well as their spouses and other adult family members. Learn the role of nutrition and exercise in self-managing health conditions; how to manage pain, fatigue, difficult emotions and depression; how to make treatment decisions; new ways to communicate; problem-solving; and more. See the class flyer for details.
Information shared in this course is protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). Personal information is not shared with the university.
Enroll now for Weight Watchers at Work!
Healthy for Life is offering meetings on both UMKC campuses to help you live more healthfully and to help you earn 100 points toward Tier 2 of your Wellness Incentive! More participants are needed in order to continue the at-work meetings. A monthly discount is available! Please contact Laurie Goldstein, UMKC Wellness Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (816) 235-6418 for current meeting room and questions.
HOSPITAL HILL CAMPUS
12:45-1:00 weigh-in; 1:00-1:30 p.m. meeting
School of Medicine
12:30-12:45 weigh-in; 12:45-1:15 p.m. meeting
For more information on discounted rates for faculty and staff, see the Weight Management webpage.