Classes: Kansas City
Discounts for faculty and staff by location:
Classes at other locations:
- Eat for Life
- Million Step Pedometer Program
- Physical activity (running, tai chi)
- Ride to Wellness Odometer Program
- Show Me Better Health
- Weight Watchers
Eat for Life is a 10-week program that helps participants learn to have a healthy relationship with their food and their bodies. This is not your regular weight loss program. In fact, the first thing you will be asked to do is throw out your diets and begin to learn how to use the wisdom of your body to guide how you eat, what you eat and how you relate and use your body.
Go to the Weight Management webpage for details.
Lower your stress and relax for a few minutes while listening to an audio recording by Dr. Lynn Rossy, Healthy for Life’s Health Psychologist. All you need is a room and a music player or computer. If you are interested in facilitating a weekly meditation session in your own building, email Laurie for simple details.
The Million Step Pedometer Program is a simple walking program designed to get faculty, staff and their families up and moving. Go at your own pace--no time limit applies. You are a success if you take more steps today than you did yesterday. Rebates and prizes are available. Learn more and join the program now....
MBSR is designed to help change your relationship with stress and begin to live a more conscious life in order to make choices and engage in behaviors that increase your vitality, effectiveness and happiness. The eight-week program is offered at various times throughout the year, depending on your campus.
Visit the Stress Reduction webpage for details.
Tai Chi for Health
Tai Chi for Health helps improve flexibility and muscle strength, increase heart/lung activity, align posture, improve balance, and integrate the mind and body. The program is shown by scientific study to be effective in reducing pain and improving quality of life and balance. Almost anyone with arthritis or any physical condition can learn this program to improve health and quality of life. It is an easy, safe, effective exercise and supported by the Arthritis Foundation of America.
Volker Campus, Administrative Center
|Summer session: Mondays, June 1 to August 24, 2015 @ 12:00 - 12:50 p.m. (no class July 13)|
|Plaza Room||All dates except June 22|
|Brookside Room||June 22|
|Fall session: Mondays, September 14 to November 30, 2015 @ 12:00 - 12:50 p.m.|
|Plaza Room||All dates except September 14 and November 9|
|Brookside Room||September 14 and November 9|
- $30 for 6 sessions, or $55 for 12 sessions.
- Pre-registration is required.
- Pay by credit card by calling (816) 252-5051. Or, pay by check made payable to University of Missouri Extension; mail to: University of Missouri Extension | 1600 NE Coronado Dr. | Blue Springs, MO 64014 | Attn: Tai Chi Class.
- Loose, comfortable street clothes and flat shoes are appropriate; no need for exercise mat.
- For more information, contact Dr. Nina Chen at (816) 252-5051 or email@example.com.
- Classes taught by Dr. Chen, Ph.D., CFLE Human Development Specialist for MU Extension.
Relax and stretch your tight muscles, calm your mind and learn to breathe more fully. No experience needed; all abilities welcome. Comfortable street clothes are encouraged. Bring a yoga mat or a thick blanket.
- Ongoing- (Tuesday/Thursday/Friday): Performing Arts Center, McIllrath Lounge. 12:10-12:50p.m. Register by contacting Michael at 918-766-9566 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Classes are $4 if you register for one or more days this month or you can try a class anytime; cost for drop-ins are $6 per session.
- Ongoing- (Monday/Wednesday): 4747 Troost Avenue, Room 201/202. 12:10-12:50p.m. Register by contacting Michael at 918-766-9566 or email@example.com. Classes are $4 if you register for one or more days this month or you can try a class anytime; cost for drop-ins are $6 per session.
The Ride to Wellness Odometer Program is a simple biking program designed to get faculty, staff and their family up and moving. Go at your own pace--no time limit applies. Rebates and prizes are available. Learn more and join the program now....
Healthy for Life offers the six-week Show Me Better Health program on a regular basis. Facilitated by the Kansas City Regional Arthritis Center, this program helps you learn to care for your own ongoing health condition or that of a loved one, including diabetes, asthma, heart disease, back pain, cancer, arthritis, fibromyalgia, and depression. The program is open to UMKC faculty and staff, as well as their spouses and other adult family members or partners.
No classes are scheduled at this time. Please direct questions and/or interest for the next session to the UMKC Wellness Coordinator, Laurie Goldstein, at (816) 235-6418 or GoldsteinLJ@umsystem.edu.
Learn the role of nutrition and exercise in self-managing health conditions; how to manage pain, fatigue, difficult emotions, and depression; how to make treatment decisions; new ways to communicate; problem-solving; and more. See the class flyer for details, including a list of topics included each week of the program. Information shared in this course is protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). Personal information is not shared with the university.
Enroll now for Weight Watchers at Work!
Healthy for Life is offering meetings on both UMKC campuses to help you live more healthfully and to help you earn 100 points toward Tier 2 of your Wellness Incentive! For more information and discounted rates for faculty and staff, see the Weight Management webpage.