Healthy for Life: T.E. Atkins UM Wellness Program
Eat for Life
Discover the benefits of this innovative approach to weight management. This ten week program uses mind-body practices (meditations and yoga), the principles of mindful and intuitive eating, skills training, and group support to guide you in making lifestyle changes that will help you create a healthier relationship to your food, mind, and body. If you have a history of chronic dieting, have rigid “healthy” rules about eating, or find yourself eating when you’re stressed, bored, or unhappy, this may be the program for you.
Summer 2014 Online
- Orientation: May 30
- Class: Week of June 6 through week of August 8
- To register for the Online Class, contact RossyL@umsystem.edu
- Cost: $50 for faculty, staff and family members ($25 rebate with full participation); $180 for community members. Faculty and staff can attend with spouse/partner for one fee.
- Watch informational videos.
Lower your stress and relax for 20 minutes while listening to a CD recording by Dr. Lynn Rossy, Healthy for Life’s Health Psychologist. All you need is a room and a CD player or computer to play the CD. If you are interested in facilitating one weekly session in your own building, email Laurie for simple details.
Million Step Pedometer Program
To learn more about this program, click here.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction
Helping employees manage stress effectively is a key goal of Healthy for Life, the Thomas E. Atkins Wellness Program. The wellness program offers eight-week mindfulness-based stress reduction classes at minimal cost to benefit-eligible employees looking to manage today's busy lifestyles in a healthy way. This 8–week class teaching meditation, yoga and other mind-body techniques for managing stress. For more information about MBSR, visit our Stress Reduction webpage. There is a $40 registration fee, $20 rebate with full participation. Class is held once a year during the fall semester.
- Mondays, April 7 - 28, 2014. 12:10 - 12:50 p.m. 4 weeks for $12. 4747 Troost, Room 201-202.
- Tuesdays, April 1 - 29, 2014. 12:10 - 12:50 p.m. 5 weeks for $15. UMKC Performing Arts Center, McIlrath Lounge.
- Fridays, April 4 - April 25, 2014. 12:10 -12:50 p.m. 4 weeks for $12. UMKC Performing Arts Center, McIlrath Lounge.
- Costs listed above. Drop-in any class for $5. Fees payable to Amanda Garner by check or debit/credit card.
- Open to UMKC faculty and staff. Adult family members welcome.
- For more information: Contact Amanda Garner (816) 206-7290 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bring a yoga or exercise mat and a thick blanket, if possible.
- Comfortable street clothes are encouraged.
- McIlrath Lounge is to your right as you enter the PAC front doors and up a flight of stairs. It overlooks the lobby area from the fourth floor.
Ride to Wellness Odometer Program
To learn more about this program, click here.
Join the Couch to 5k Challenge
The Wellness Ambassadors for the School of Biological Sciences and Swinney Recreation Center (SRC) invite all faculty and staff to participate in the inaugural Couch to 5K challenge! Whether you looking to run your first 5K, improve your personal bests or simply to get more physically active, the Couch to 5K is a great way to do it! The program progresses slowly and comfortably, effectively addressing multiple fitness levels.
- Participants must be members of SRC. Please call SRC at 816.235.2712 to join today.
- SRC Wellness Coordinator, Shannon Hutsler, will guide the 9-week program
- Meet Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 1:00pm at SRC’s Indoor Track
- Week one kicks off on Monday, August 12th
- If you have questions or are interested in signing up, please contact Shannon Hutsler at email@example.com / 816.235.5425 or Mary Flores at Floresm@umkc.edu / 816-235-5427 by Friday, August 9th.
- You can follow the program wherever you are, whenever you’d like! To download your own version of the program, visit this link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Tai Chi for Health
- Mondays, Apr. 7 - June 2, 2014. 12:10 - 1:00 p.m. 6 weeks for $30. No class on Apr. 28 and May 12. All classes in the Administrative Center, Plaza Room, except May 19 class which is in Gillham Park Room.
- Space is limited. Pre-registration is required one week before the session.
- Make checks payable to University of Missouri Extension, and mail to: University of Missouri Extension | 1106 W. Main Street | Blue Springs, MO 64015 | Attn: Tai Chi Class.
- Loose, comfortable street clothes and flat shoes are appropriate; no need for exercise mat.
- For more information, contact Dr. Nina Chen at 816-252-5051 or firstname.lastname@example.org.