Resources: Kansas City
- Physical activity
- Weight management, nutrition, and healthy food
- Stress management and wellbeing
- Health assessment, prevention, and education
Walking trail maps
- Swinney Recreation Center's mapped Hospital Hill trails
- Swinney Recreation Center's mapped Volker Campus trails
Kansas City Parks and Recreation
Find out more about Kansas City parks, recreation, community centers and activities.
Swinney Recreation Center
As a Student Affairs agency, Swinney Recreation Center meets the ever-changing needs and interests of students and the campus community by providing programs, services, and facilities that are comprehensive, inclusive, and unsurpassed in quality. Swinney Recreation centers at Volker Campus and Hospital Hill are open to all UMKC faculty and staff for a minimal monthly fee.
Clean Commute Program
UMKC Clean Commute encourages students and faculty at the University of Missouri-Kansas City to ride bikes to campus through the semester-long loan of bikes from our on-campus facility. Any UMKC faculty or staff member may visit The Hub to get a non-loner bike repaired, volunteer, or learn more about alternative transportation options around Kansas City.
- Free Bicycle Checkout Program
UMKC sells as many as 8,000 parking permits per year. If you consider each of those permits to represent one single-occupancy car trip per day that represents a potential 2.92 million car trips annually to campus! As part of the UMKC Clean Commute program, you can check out daily and semester-long loaner bicycles FOR FREE at The Hub, an on-campus bike station. Visit The Hub and SRC webpages for more information.
For discounted fitness center information, go to the Discounts webpage.
Agriculture and farmers' markets
- Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) programs:
- Healthy Harvest, from the Truman Medical Center (TMC) -- A produce market from April to October--Wednesdays on Hospital Hill and the second Tuesday of the month at TMC Lakewood. The Healthy Harvest Produce Market has provided fresh produce and other healthy foods to patients, employees and community residents since 2009. PDF flyer.
- Missouri Farmers' Market Directory -- Missouri is home to more than 140 farmers' markets located in communities across the state providing a rich variety of homegrown fruits and vegetables as well as locally produced goods such as dairy, eggs and meats. You can search by county for a market near you.
Counseling and family services
UMKC Employee Assistance Program
A confidential, professional service provided to all employees, their families, retirees, and organizational work units. The EAP provides a variety of services to help employees influenced by a range of personal concerns, including emotional distress, family concerns, alcohol/substance abuse, legal problems, occupational health, and more.
UMKC Counseling Center
The UMKC Counseling Center offers a free initial confidential psychological consultation to UMKC faculty and staff for a wide range of personal and emotional concerns. We will explore concerns and resources for follow-up, both within the university and the community. If the follow up is at the center, the fee is $20 per session.
MHNet Behavioral Health is an affiliate of Coventry and the administrator of mental health insurance through university medical insurance plans. You can find in-network mental health providers on the MHNet website.
- Getting Healthy
- Nutrition Center
- Workplace Wellness
- Stress Management
- Physical Activity
- Quit Smoking