Byline: Tracey Westfield, Communications Associate
Immunizations help prevent dangerous, and sometimes deadly, diseases like the flu, measles, and tuberculosis. Adults need to get their shots—just like kids do. This month is National Immunization Awareness Month and the perfect time to make sure you and your family are up to date.
Not sure what immunizations you need? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the following schedules:
Immunizations (also called vaccinations) don’t just protect you. They also protect the people around you. Some people in your family or community may not be able to tolerate certain vaccines because of their age or health condition. Protect yourself and those around you by staying up to date on your shots.
- Talk with a doctor or nurse about your immunizations. If you are enrolled in a university medical insurance plan, visit Coventry’s website to locate a provider near you.
- Find out which immunizations you may need by taking the CDC’s adolescent and adult vaccine quiz.
- Read our past article on getting your kids’ back-to-school physicals
- Immunizations and pregnancy
- Parents’ guide to childhood immunizations
- Three ways to fight the flu, from CDC
- The University of Missouri’s flu shot clinics for faculty and staff will begin in October. As we approach October, keep an eye on the Healthy for Life website for upcoming announcements.
- Do you want to advertise National Immunization Awareness Month in your departmental newsletter, Twitter feed, Intranet or other media? Do you want to host a departmental event? Use this National Immunization Awareness Month toolkit (PDF) from the Department of Health and Human Services. Or, try this toolkit from the National Public Health Information Coalition.
About the author: Tracey is a communications associate in the University of Missouri’s Total Rewards department. She has 15 years of experience in web communications.
Earn 25 points per workshop (up to 150) to put towards your 2015 Wellness Incentive.
Byline: Matthew Carlino There are only two more months left of the 2015 Wellness Incentive! In order to receive an