About the Program
The University of Missouri Faculty Scholars (UMFS) program is designed to support the efforts of the university to acclimate and retain new faculty members. In this unique program, scholars participate in campus-specific activities and in system-wide programs designed to create avenues for communication and collaboration across the four campuses of the UM System. The UMFS program offers new ideas for thinking about research, teaching, scholarship and engagement on each campus.
UM Faculty Scholars Goals
The goal of the UMFS program is to support cohorts of new faculty members by providing opportunities to:
- Construct academic portfolios adequate for examining, portraying, explaining and highlighting their academic lives and contributions to the university’s mission;
- Learn the techniques and strategies that will assist them in becoming effective educators and support the UM Systen goal of remaining a learning-centered institution;
- Learn how to integrate teaching with scholarly activities, mentoring, advising & Supervision; and
- Develop collegial networks and collaborations with their university peers.
UM Faculty Scholars Events
Participants in the UMFS program are expected to attend monthly on-campus activities as well as all three system-wide retreats. On-campus activities will include a variety of learning opportunities that address topics designed to support faculty development, faculty roles in student success.
- UM Faculty Scholars are selected from tenure track and non-tenure track ranked faculty in their second and third years of employment on the four UM campuses.
- Participation in the program lasts one year.
- UM Faculty Scholars are selected to create a diverse distribution of academic disciplines represented within each cohort. Interested colleagues are encouraged to express their interest to their department chairs and deans.
- UM Faculty Scholars are required to participate in monthly programs on their own campuses and in system-wide events.
- Participants will be reimbursed to carpool to system-wide retreats. Lodging, meals and materials will be provided.
“UMFS was a fantastic experience. It gave me the opportunity to closely consider the concepts of course design, effective teaching, collaboration and connecting with students. In addition, I am much better prepared for upcoming promotion reviews.”
– Jim Craig, Department of Military and Veteran Studies, University of Missouri-St. Louis
“The Faculty Scholars program provided valuable and useful information for furthering UM instructor and student success. The ability to network with faculty from across the state is very helpful. Being knowledgeable about the resources, functions and opportunities at the multiple campuses is very useful.”
– William LeFevers, Nursing and Health Studies, University of Missouri-Kansas City
“The UMFS is currently the best and only way to really get to know a large number of our colleagues at all of the other institutions within the system. I and several others have formed collaborations and made contacts that will lead to future collaborations. This benefit of the UMFS program cannot be understated.”
– Brian Smith, Engineering Management & Systems Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology
“I am very grateful for my experience with the University of Missouri Faculty Scholars program. Before the last retreat was even over, I was recommending it to a colleague in my division and thanking my Dean and Chair for allowing me to take advantage of this opportunity! The insight I gained in the areas of promotion, scholarship, instruction, and research will be invaluable as I move forward in my career.”
– Angela Brownfield, Pharmacy Practice & Administration, University of Missouri-Kansas City @ MU
Reviewed April 24, 2015.