“Tertiary Education Linkages Program (TELP), University of Missouri-University of the Western Cape Linkage.” Funded by United Negro College Fund Special Programs Corporation. [Funds were from the United States Agency for International Development]. July 1, 1999-June 30, 2003. Awarded: $454,613. Project Director: Joel Glassman, Center for International Studies, University of Missouri-St. Louis. Dr. Joseph Hughey, UMKC, served as the project evaluator.
The TELP project was successful in facilitating greater collaboration between the University of Missouri (UM) and the University of the Western Cape (UWC). Thirteen sub-projects were conducted under the auspices of TELP and substantial progress was made in planning, developing and conducting activities which assisted the University of the Western Cape in improving curricula, training faculty, staff and students, and developing other educational programs to improve the quality of education offered by UWC to its students and the community.
The TELP sub-projects were:
- A.1: Problem-based Learning and Curriculum Development in Health Related Professions. UM faculty: Richard Oliver, UMC, and Gerald Browning, UMC. UWC faculty: Quinette Louw and Anthea Rhode.
- A.2: Enhancement of Graduate Programs, Faculty Training, and Research in Dentistry. UM faculty: J. David Eick, UMKC, and Michael Reed, UMKC. UWC faculty: Hanif Moola.
- A.3.: Conflict, Violence and Health. UM faculty: George McCall, UMSL. UWC faculty: Sharon Spicer.
- B.1: Geophysical and Geological Water Resources Studies. UM faculty: Neil Anderson, UMR. UWC faculty: Rian Titus.
- C.1: Women’s Studies Career and Curriculum Development Program. UM faculty: Lois Pierce, UMSL. UWC faculty: Lindsay Clowes and Tammy Shefer.
- D.1: Children and Violence. UM faculty: Lois Pierce, UMSL. UWC faculty: Rose September.
- E.1: Staff Development and Curriculum Planning in Law. UM faculty: James Levin, UMC. UWC faculty: Pierre de Vos and Catherine Maxwell.
- F.1: Achieving Excellence in Academic and Institutional Outcomes through Collaboration, Replication and Dissemination of Best Practices in Economic and Management Sciences. UM faculty: Nicholas Peroff, UMKC. UWC faculty: Orlando Hohls and Madge du Preez.
F.2: Fostering an Institutional Culture at UWC for Lifelong Learning. UM faculty: Wendell Smith, UMSL, and David Klostermann, UMSL. UWC faculty: Shirley Walters.
- F.3: Distributed Education Certificate Program. UM faculty: Dale Huffington, UMC, and Margaret Gunderson, UMC. UWC faculty: Tony Bijker and Karolina O’Donoghue.
- F.4: School Organizational Culture and Change. UM faculty: Bernard Oliver, UMKC, and Carole Murphy, UMSL. UWC faculty: Harold Herman.
- G.1: Culture and Media Studies. UM faculty: Byron Scott, UMC. UWC faculty: Loes Nas and Herman Wittenberg.
- H.1: Chemistry Curriculum and Research Development in Chemical Science. UM faculty: Gordon Anderson, UMSL. UWC faculty: David Key and Farouk Ameer.
- The project facilitated at least 140 visits during the four years of the project including 62 visits to UWC and 78 visits to UM campuses.
- At least eighteen new courses, short courses, and course modules were developed, offered or made available during the TELP project.
- Six training workshops were conducted.
- At least fifteen joint research papers, publications and proposals were produced.
- Ten of the projects conducted joint training of faculty and/or graduate students.
- New departmental student exchange programs were developed in health professions, journalism and chemistry.
The TELP project was successful in accomplishing significant curriculum and staff development at UWC and in facilitating greater collaboration between UM and UWC.