Certificates of Insurance
A certificate of insurance demonstrates evidence of an insurance policy. It may be issued by an insurer, insurance agent or broker. A certificate of insurance should include the following:
- Name of the insurance company and NAIC number
- Policy number and period
- Name of the insured and address
- Description of coverage
- Policy limits
- Description and locations of operation
- Name and address of certificate holder
- Notice of cancellation provision
- Authorized signature and date
The University of Missouri buys products and services from many businesses every year. The University requires proof of insurance from many vendors, with the specific requirements stated in the contract. The types and amounts of insurance required will be dependent on the services that are being provided and the obligations of the parties under the contract.
When requesting a certificate of insurance from a vendor or organization providing low risk services, we require a minimum of the following:
- General liability $1 million/occurrence and $2 million/aggregate
- Auto $2 million combined single limit/Any auto
- Workers' Compensation - statutory and employment liability of $500,000
- Curators of the University of Missouri endorsed as additional insured
Download our baseline, low risk, insurance specification:
The University reserves the right to require higher limits on any contract provided notice of such requirement is stated in the request for proposals for such contract.
Failure to maintain the required insurance in force may be cause for contract termination. In the event the Contractor fails to maintain and keep in force the required insurance, the University shall have the right to cancel and terminate the contract without notice.
Requesting Proof of University coverage
To request proof of University of Missouri insurance or self-funded coverage, please use our online request form. Or, you may submit an email that includes the items noted below:
- Certificate Holder contact, name and address (entity whom the proof is to be issued)
- Events or services: purpose, location, date(s)
- The type and amount of insurance required
- Attach a copy of the contract/letter/etc
Please allow at least 10 business days for processing. For your convenience, a generic insurance certificate is provided here in pdf format.