Supplier Diversity Overview
The University of Missouri System's supplier diversity efforts encompass University of Missouri Health Care and the four campuses. The director of the program works with both procurement and design and construction at each campus as well as system leadership to help ensure a diverse supplier pool is in place for contractors, consultants and all other providers of goods and services.
The University of Missouri System's supplier diversity effort provides a direct way for the institution to generate economic development particulary for minority and women-owned businesses in Missouri. Our goal is to be engaged and improve the lives of the people in the communities we serve.
To be the leader for economic inclusion and development through our supplier diversity program for all universities in the nation.
The University of Missouri System will seek to source and develop small businesses in the state of Missouri. We will pay particular attention to minority and women-owned businesses (M/WBE), as the most underepresented groups in the supply base. The university will look at all areas of the supply chain as well as our design and construction needs. As an institution of higher education, the university will seek to educate suppliers in various ways to improve their ability to service the university as well as other large businesses in the state of Missouri.
Process for Procurement and Design and Construction
Here are the links to the process (as well as open bids) for becoming a potential supplier in both the procurement and design and construction groups. As opportunites become available, bid announcements will be posted on the Internet. Suppliers should register on the university's supplier portal-Ubid. In some cases, the university will provide information directly to supplier diversity related organizations, especially in St. Louis and Kansas City. Information related to construction projects may be sent to contractor associations throughout Missouri, posted on the Internet and made available in various other ways. The key message here is: Check the university website on a going basis for opportunities.
Sources of Identification and Recruitment of M/WBEs
There are several ways that the university will identify potential suppliers for our projects. There is a full page of organizations with their links in the resource section of this website. A few of the resources we may use include:
- Minority Business Councils in Kansas City and St. Louis
- Minority Contractor Associations in St. Louis and Kansas City
- Business Expos in Missouri
- Business Journals and M/WBE directories
- External interaction with other supplier diversity leaders at other companies in Missouri
- SBA Central Contractor Registry
- St. Louis Airport Database
- State of Missouri Database
- City of Kansas City Database
The University of Missouri System sometimes participates in community outreach functions and/or holds functions itself as ways to link and connect with suppliers. Some of the ways we achieve our goals here are by:
- Attending business investment expos
- Conduct M/WBE workshops
- On-site visits with suppliers
- One-on-one sessions by suppliers with UM Sourcing personnel
- Mini business fairs on site at one of our campuses
- Supplier diversity conferences and symposiums
- UM System Advisory Council and Advocacy-Mentoring Program