BPM-109 Design & Construction Delegation of Authority and General Policies
Revised September 18, 2012
The rules governing and controlling design and construction practices for the University have been established and approved by the Board of Curators in the Collected Rules and Regulations 70.060. These include rules for Curator approval of projects and master plans, advertisement for bid and competitive bidding of construction contracts, establishment of a University building code, and the use of prevailing wage for construction work.
To the President
As noted in the Collected Rules and Regulations 70.060, the Board of Curators have delegated to the President authority to hire consultants and administer facilities design and construction contracts and operations in conformance with CRR 70.060.
To the Vice President for Finance and Administration and the Assistant Vice President for Management Services
The President has delegated design and construction policies, contracting activities, and operations management, in compliance with Board of Curators' policies and administrative policies to the Vice President for Finance and Administration and to the Assistant Vice President for Management Services.
The Assistant Vice President for Management Services has authority for the following design and construction activities:
- Execution of design and construction contracts, including amendments to contracts not delegated to the campuses.
- Establishing design fee guidelines for all consultant services.
- Coordinating development of design and construction standards.
- Coordinating the presentation of projects to the Board of Curators and to the State.
- Acting as the University building code authority and providing code interpretation.
- Acting as arbitrator in resolving consultant or contractor disputes.
- Administering the Prevailing Wage requirements and monitoring compliance.
- Acting as liaison between the campuses and the General Counsel on design and construction matters requiring legal assistance.
- Coordinating the preparation of the University's capital budget and its presentation to state agencies.
- Coordinating the development and maintenance of UM policy and procedures for facility planning and development.
- Monitoring the effectiveness and efficiency of facility management operations at the campuses.
To the Chancellors
The President has delegated to the Chancellors the following authority for design and construction:
- Execution of Architect/Engineer Agreements on projects where the construction value will be less than or equal to $500,000 and total fees less than or equal to $100,000.
- Execution of all construction contracts less than or equal to $500,000.
- Hiring Architects and Engineers and coordination fo design for all projects.
- Manage campus design and construction projects, administer design and construction contracts including change orders, and maintain control and accounting for project funds.
- Soliciting bids for all construction work.
- Performance of construction work with in-house staff.
- Prepare and submit project status reports to Facilities Planning & Development.
- Prepare documents required for Board of Curators review and approval and submit them to the Facilities Planning & Development.
- Prepare and submit the campus capital plans and appropriations request approval and submit them to the Facilities Planning & Development.
- The day-to-day facility management of plant operations.
- Operate capital improvements following their completion.
Engagement of Architects & Engineers for Professional Services
Architects and Engineers will be selected using a Qualifications Based Selection Process
Award of Construction Contracts
The University awards construction contracts to the lowest, responsive, responsible bidder or bidders based on pre-established criteria. Responsibility is the bidders' ability to satisfactorily perform the work. A responisve bid indicates there are no defects in the bid, such as failure to include all the work in the bid documents or a bid irregularity. The University, with the assistance of its Design Consultants, will thoroughly investigate both the responsibility of the low bidder and the responsiveness of the bid before an award of a construciton contract.
The UM Facilities Policy and Procedure Manual provides additional information regarding design and construction policies.