Information Technology & Telecommunications
BPM-1201 Management, Access and Use of IT Resources
Revised October 17, 2012
The University’s information technology (IT) and telecommunications networks, facilities and services (hereafter referred to as resources) must be appropriately implemented, managed, accessed and safeguarded in order to support the mission of the University.
This policy assigns responsibility for the management of the University’s information technology (IT) and telecommunications resources and establishes requirements for access to, and required use of, such resources.
Management of IT Resources
The Vice President for Information Technology (VP for IT) has overall responsibility for the implementation and administration (management) of University IT and telecommunications resources. The VP for IT will work cooperatively with the Chief Information Officers (CIOs) and other key administrators from each business unit to establish common strategic goals, identify joint and mutually beneficial initiatives and technology solutions and to avoid and reduce duplication of services.
The CIOs at each business unit are responsible for implementing and administering the IT and telecom resources for their respective business unit, for providing system-wide services when appropriate and for enforcing the access and use requirements of this policy.
Access to IT Resources
The University’s IT and telecom resources are available to the Board of Curators, students, faculty, administrators, staff, and certain other non-University entities. Timely and predictable access to these resources must be provided for the effective discharge of academic and business activities consistent with the University’s mission. Access to these resources will be granted according to procedures established by the UM system or the applicable University business unit.
The University has the right to inspect computer networks, equipment and connected resources (systems), and information contained within or transmitted via these resources in certain circumstances as documented in the University’s Acceptable Use Policy (CRR 110.005). All requests for access to IT accounts or resources must be sent to the Information Security Officer (ISO) at each business unit and handled according to the guidelines in the Access to IT Accounts & Electronic Information procedures as part of the University’s Information Security Program.
Required Use of IT Resources
University departments and employees are required to use IT and telecom resources provided or approved by the central IT department at the applicable business unit when conducting University business. Exceptions to this requirement must be approved by the CIO of the applicable business unit.
Use of IT Resources by Non-University Entities
- Non-University entities may be permitted use of IT and telecom resources provided such use is consistent with the goals and mission of the University, and:
- The services to be provided are uniquely available from the University, or;
- The relationship between the University and the non-University entity is such that mutual concerns over access, security and cost-effectiveness are best addressed by sharing these facilities and services (i.e., co-located in the same University-controlled space, formal partnership agreement in place, etc.).
- Any use authorized under this section must be documented in a written and signed agreement that specifies the rights and responsibilities of the University and the non-University entity. The agreement must be approved by the business unit’s CIO and the VP for IT and must be executed by the appropriate delegated authority.
- The non-University entity may be charged for such services.
Users of University IT and Telecom resources must adhere to all applicable University policies and procedures. This includes, but is not limited to:
- CRR 110.005 – Acceptable Use Policy
- BPM 301 – Delegation of Authority
- BPM 306 – Special Purchases
- BPM 902 – Records Management – General Policy
- BPM 911 – Electronic Records Administration
- BPM 1203 – Information Security
- BPM 1204 – Information Technology and Telecommunications Purchases
- BPM 1205 – Telephones and Communication Devices
Failure to abide by this policy may result in denial of access to University IT and telecom resources and may also result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.
For the purpose of this policy, an employee includes University employees, student employees and volunteers conducting work for, or on behalf of, the University.
IT facilities and services
For the purpose of this policy, IT facilities and services are resources provided by the central IT department or provided by an individual division, department or third party with the appropriate CIO authorization.
Examples of these resources include, but aren’t limited to, enterprise applications such as email and PeopleSoft, high performance computing systems, content management systems, learning management systems, etc.
Telecommunications facilities and services
For the purpose of this policy, telecommunications facilities and services are resources provided by the central IT department or provided by an individual division, department or third party with the appropriate CIO authorization.
Examples of these resources include but aren’t limited to voice and data networks and associated services such as telephone services, voice over IP services, voicemail, unified messaging, domain name systems (DNS), etc.
IT and telecom resources provide by the University of Missouri System or provided by an individual campus or other business unit for use by all business units.