Reporting Accidents & Incidents
BPM-703 Damage to University Property (Including Fire)
Revised July 1, 2009
All damage to, or destruction of, any University property must be reported in writing. This includes any owned or leased building or facility or its contents and any property for which the University has legally accepted custody and responsibility.
Definition of Contents
- Fire damaged or destroyed University-owned or leased building, facility, or contents
- University equipment, machinery, furniture and fixtures which are essential to the operation or use of the building or facility.
- Licensed "over the road" University owned or leased vehicles damaged or destroyed by some means other than collision.
Does Not Include:
- Licensed "over the road" University owned or leased vehicles damaged or destroyed in a collision should be reported under BPM 705 - Accidents - University Vehicles
- Any tools, supplies or other expendable items.
Written Report Required
Any personal injury sustained by any person in connection with the occurrence of the damage must be reported in writing.
REFERENCE: BPM 704 - Employee Injuries & Occupational Diseases and BPM - 707 Students & General Public (Except Vehicle Accidents) identify the requirements for submitting personal injury reports.
Damage reports must be:
- Initiated by the department of the individual who discovered the fire or damage and submitted to the following appropriate campus office within 24 hours after the damage occurs or is discovered:
- MU - MU Business Services
- UMKC - UMKC Environmental Health & Safety
- UMSL - UMSL Director of Business Services
- S&T - UMR Environmental Health & Safety
- UMHC - Materials Management
- UM System - Risk & Insurance Management
- Forwarded to the Office of Risk & Insurance Management by the campus representative within 48 hours after the damage occurs or is discovered.
NOTE: Any damages or destruction occurring on any outlying facility must be reported to the campus responsible for the facility.
REPORT FORMS TO BE USED
All reports must be made on a Damage Report Form (UM 69).
STATEMENTS REGARDING LOSSES
Employees must not make any statement regarding a loss to the press or anyone other than members of or as directed by:
- Campus Business Services Office
- Campus Police Department
- Office of Risk & Insurance Management
- Office of the General Counsel