Reporting Accidents & Incidents
BPM-710 Wrongful Act Incidents
Revised July 1, 2009
DEFINITION OF WRONGFUL ACT
A wrongful act is any actual or alleged:
- Misleading Statement
- Act or Omission
- Neglect or Breach of Duty
NOTE: For incidents based on or caused by University publications or broadcast operations, see BPM 711 - Broadcasters' & Publishers' Incidents
WRITTEN REPORTS REQUIRED
All incidents or claims for any wrongful act must be reported in writing.
The department chairman or administrative head is responsible for initiating and submitting the required report to the campus business office within 24 hours of the occurrence. The report will be forwarded to the Director of Risk & Insurance Management within 48 hours after the accident or notice of claim.
REPORT TO BE MADE IN LETTER REPORT FORM
All reports of incidents or claims must be made in letter-report form and include:
- Name and address of person making the claim.
- Description of the alleged basis of claim, such as the error, misstatement, act, omission or neglect or breach of duty that is being claimed as the cause of damage.
- Date of the circumstances surrounding the alleged error, omission, etc.
- Any written communications received from the aggrieved person.
- Signature of the individual submitting the report.