Chapter 110: Use of Facilities and Equipment
110.080 Naming of University Buildings, Exterior Areas, Landmarks and Interior Spaces
Bd. Min. 4-19-69, p. 34,491; Amended Bd. Min. 9-11-87, Amended Bd. Min. 10-7-05, Amended Bd. Min. 7-21-06, Amended Bd. Min. 5-6-13.
- Purpose – As a general rule, the exterior areas, landmarks and interior spaces of University owned or leased property shall bear distinctive names which reflect outstanding contributions in keeping with the nature and mission of the University. The purpose of this rule is to set forth guidelines for the criteria used and the approvals needed in naming such exterior areas, landmarks and interior spaces in honor of individuals and organizations.
- Definitions – For purposes of this rule, the following definitions shall apply:
- “Exterior Areas” shall mean University owned or leased buildings, locations, including open air spaces, and major facilities, such as arenas and stadiums, where the name is displayed on the outside of a structure or is easily viewable by the general public.
- “University Landmarks” shall mean statues and other landmarks on or in University owned or leased property.
- “Interior Spaces” shall mean auditoriums, laboratories, class rooms, conference rooms and other significant interior spaces in University owned or leased buildings where the name is displayed inside the building and viewable by those inside the building.
- “Organizations” shall mean foundations, trusts, not-for-profit entities, corporations or other legal entities.
- Approvals – The following approvals are required to name an Exterior Area, University Landmark or Interior Space:
- Exterior Areas – The naming of Exterior Areas requires the approval of the Board of Curators.
- University Landmarks – The placement, establishment or designation of University Landmarks, as well as the naming thereof, requires approval of the Board of Curators.
- Interior Spaces – The naming of Interior Spaces requires the approval of the President of the University.
- Guidelines – Names for Exterior Areas, University Landmarks and Interior Spaces should enhance the public reputation of the institution. The following guidelines are suggested in proposing and approving such names:
- Faculty, staff members or Organizations who have rendered distinctive service to the University.
- Graduates, former students, individuals such as Curators, etc., or Organizations who have rendered distinctive service to the University.
- Persons or Organizations dedicated to the purpose, nature and mission of the University, who have achieved outstanding distinction through civic, intellectual or artistic contributions to the development of the area, state, and nation or to Missouri history.
- Persons or Organizations who make or have made a substantial financial contribution toward the cost of the construction or renovation of the Exterior Area or Interior Space or persons or Organizations who have had a substantial contribution toward the cost of the construction or renovation of the Exterior Area or Interior Space made in their behalf. If named for a donor or a donor's designee, the name should be based on the eminence of the donor or designee and the donor or designee's relationship to the institution as well as the significance of the gift.
- Limitations – Generally, the University shall name no more than one Exterior Area or University Landmark to honor an individual or Organization. The naming of more than one Exterior Area or University Landmark to honor the same person or Organization shall require an express determination and vote by the Board finding that it is in the University’s best interest to permit such an additional naming.
- Reservations – The Board reserves the right to change or remove the name of an Exterior Area, University Landmark or Interior Space if it determines that the name is detrimental to the best interests of the University. The President reserves the right to change or remove the name of an Interior Space if he or she determines that the name is detrimental to the best interests of the University.
Next Rule: 110.081 Naming of Academic Units
Previous Rule: 110.070 Personal Property Reclamation Office