Chapter 180: Records Management
180.030 Security of Classified Materials
Bd. Min. 7-8-55, p. 7,847; Bd. Min. 11-9-62, p. 21,440; Bd. Min. 1-17-64, p. 24,258; Bd. Min. 2-19-71, p. 35,464; Amended Bd. Min. 11-21-80;Amended Bd. Min. 1-30-97; 1-21-98.
- That those persons occupying the following positions among the officers and members of the Board of Curators of the University of Missouri, shall be known as the "Managerial Group", having the authority and responsibility for the negotiation, execution and administration of User Agency contracts, as described in DoD 5520.22-M, "National Industrial Security Program":
- Vice President for Finance and Administration
- General Counsel
- Chancellor, University of Missouri-Rolla
- Director of Sponsored Programs (serving as the Security Officer for the University of Missouri System)
- Supervisor, Externally Funded Programs-Rolla (serving as the Security Officer for the University Missouri-Rolla)
The "Managerial Group" is hereby delegated all of the Board's duties and responsibilities pertaining to the protection of classified information under classified contracts of the Department of Defense or User Agencies of the security program awarded to the Curators of the University of Missouri.
The following officers and members of the Board of Curators shall not require, shall not have, and can be effectively excluded from, access to all classified information in the possession of the Curators of the University of Missouri, and do not occupy positions that would enable them to affect adversely the policies and practices of the Curators of the University of Missouri in the performance of classified contracts for the Department of Defense or User Agencies of its security program, awarded to the Curators of the University of Missouri, and need not be processed for a personnel security clearance:
- All nine members of the Board of Curators
- Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Vice President for University Outreach/Extension
- Vice President for Information Systems
- Chancellor, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Chancellor, University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Chancellor, University of Missouri-St. Louis
- Security Clearances -- It shall be the responsibility of the Security Officer to:
- Process All Security Clearances -- Any department desiring a security clearance for personnel of the University will procure from the Security Officer the necessary government forms relative to the request for security clearances.
- Forward all forms required for the issuance of security clearances to the agency of the Department of Defense having cognizance of the University's security program.
- Receive from the Department of Defense, through the proper agency, all notifications of the security clearances issued. The Security Officer will in turn notify the Department Chairman that security clearance was granted for personnel in his department and shall indicate the degree of clearance issued.
- Maintain a record of all security clearances granted. This record shall indicate the name of the individual to whom clearance was granted, the degree of clearance and the date of clearance.
- Receiving, Marking and Dispatching of Classified Material -- It shall be the responsibility of the Security Officer to:
- Receive from the Mail Room all classified matter from any agency of the Department of Defense or any other agency of the Federal Government whether or not applicable to any particular contract.
- Maintain a record which will show the following:
- A description of the matter received,
- The date of the receipt,
- The degree of classification assigned or indicated,
- The individual's name to whom the classified matter was dispatched,
- The number and disposition of copies reproduced from classified matter.
- Report immediately to the agency of the Department of Defense if there is any evidence of tampering of the outside container in which classified matter was received.
- Execute the Receipt Form found in the inner container and return to the sender of the classified matter.
- Dispatch classified matter in strict accordance with the Industrial Security Manual for Safeguarding Classified Information.
- Accounting and Storage of Classified Matter -- It shall be the responsibility of the Security Officer to:
- Maintain a record by document indicating title, name and date of all individuals, including stenographic, clerical, technical and production personnel who are afforded access to Top-Secret information.
- Maintain a receipt system for the transmitting and custody of Top-Secret information both within and without the University.
- Be responsible for the proper storage of classified matter in strict accordance with the Industrial Security Manual for Safeguarding Classified Information.
- Make security checks within the University which will insure the proper accounting and storage of classified matter.
- Visitor Register -- It shall be the responsibility of the Security Officer to:
- Maintain a Visitor's Register which will contain:
- Name of visitor,
- Visitor's degree of clearance,
- Date of visit,
- Authorization for visit.
- Obtain prior authorization of the cognizant military department before granting permission for any visitor to have access to classified information.
- Maintain a Visitor's Register which will contain:
- The procedures and duties of the Security Officer as outlined above are not intended to be complete as to every aspect of the security program. In all instances the Security Agreement and the Industrial Security Manual for Safeguarding Classified Information will govern all problems arising from our security program.
- Access -- Access to classified security information of the United States Government, Department of Defense, release or disclosed to this facility may be granted by the facility to such of its directors and/or officers or Managerial Group as have obtained appropriate security clearances from the Department of Defense and that access to such classified security information shall not be granted by the facility to any of its directors and/or officers or Managerial Group who have not obtained such appropriate security clearances, that such directors and/or officers or Managerial Group shall not require nor shall have and can be effectively denied access to classified information in possession of the organization and that such directors and/or officers or Managerial Group do not occupy positions that would enable them to affect adversely the organization's policies or practices in the performance of classified contracts for the Department of Defense or User Agencies of its Industrial Security Program.
Next Rule: 180.060 Personnel Files