Chapter 460: UMKC Dental Faculty Practice Plan
460.020 Purposes of the Plan
Bd. Min. 2-11-83.
- Faculty members of the School of Dentistry of the University of Missouri-Kansas City may be engaged in one or more of the following employment duties: teaching, research and patient care. Patient care is an integral part of the educational mission of the school for it provides to the instructor and the dental student the clinical laboratory experience essential to dental education. In the course of rendering patient care services faculty members may generate fee income described in this plan as plan income.
This plan has been created to provide a means for establishing salary compensation for employment services rendered by plan participants to their employer, the University of Missouri, an educational organization. All payments to plan participants made pursuant to the provisions of this plan are salary payments by the employer to the participants as employees and subject to the rules and regulations of the University of Missouri governing the approval and payment of salaries. All plan income referred to in Section 460.020 D below shall be irrevocably assigned to the employer by the plan participants as agents (employees) of the employer; no plan participants shall have any right, title or interest in any such plan income; and the employer shall have the unrestricted right to such income and complete control over its disposition. Provisions in this plan for accounting for plan income and expenses and for recommendations from plan participants are not intended to and shall not be construed to confer on plan participants any right, title or interest in plan income, any right to control the disposition of plan income and expenses, or any right to determine salaries. In addition, the plan is created to implement the following purposes:
- To provide a system by which the faculty is enabled to achieve fulfillment of their commitment to high quality patient care.
- To recognize that high quality patient care is related to faculty participation in teaching and research and also that high quality clinical teaching is dependent upon the faculty being engaged in active dental practice.
- To establish incentive mechanisms for faculty compensation which enhance the attainment of the School of Dentistry goals of patient care, teaching and research.
- To assure a Dental Faculty Practice Plan which will be competitive with income plans of other academic dental schools in the United States.
- To inhibit the loss of highly qualified faculty to other academic health institutions and private practice because of differences in compensation.
- To establish and maintain a set of policies for the management of professional fee income which is sufficiently flexible to respond to the needs of all participating individuals, sections and practice group differences.
- To provide a mechanism to support programs of general benefit to the School of Dentistry.
- To establish an agreed upon methodology of professional fee generation, distribution and utilization to accomplish the above purposes.
Next Rule: 460.030 Participants
Previous Rule: 460.010 Definitions