Chapter 460: UMKC Dental Faculty Practice Plan
460.080 Administration of the Plan
Bd. Min. 2-11-83.
- DFPP Committee
- The membership of the DFPP Committee will include all practice group administrators or approved alternates, three members from the participants at large or their elected alternate, and the Dean of the School of Dentistry. The practice group administrators will recommend to the Committee for its approval the individuals to serve as their alternate. The members at large and their alternates will be elected by the participant body for three-year terms but may not serve for more than two consecutive terms. In the first year of the plan, the three members at large and their alternates will be elected for staggered terms: one member and one alternate for three years, one member and one alternate for two years, and one member and one alternate for one year. Thereafter an annual election will be held for the purpose of electing one member at large and his alternate to serve a three-year term.
- The Committee shall organize by electing a chairman and a secretary, who need not be members of the Committee. If the chairman or secretary is not a member of the committee, they become members by the election. The term of office for the chairman and the secretary will be two years. In the first year of the plan the chairman will be elected for a two-year term and the secretary for a one-year term. Thereafter at the annual election the Committee will elect either a chairman or a secretary to serve a two-year term.
- In the event the chairman or secretary is unable to complete the term of office and more than six months of the term remains, a special election will be held to elect a replacement to complete the term of office.
- The Committee shall meet at least quarterly. Additional Committee meetings may be called by the chairman of the Committee or at the request of a majority of the members of the Committee.
- Functions of the DFPP Committee
- Review the functioning of the plan to assure it is meeting the objectives of the plan.
- Annually review the operating costs of the plan and the appropriateness of individual expenditures. IT shall make any appropriate recommendations for changes in the operation of the plan to the Dean.
- Develop and recommend such detailed policies and procedures as necessary to assure the effective implementation and operation of the plan.
- Make recommendations for revision of the plan to the participants.
- Recommend the budget for the costs of operation of the plan including the amount of the deduction rate or rates.
- Review and recommend fee schedules of the participants.
- Review and recommend changes in the incentive income distributing schedule.
- Approve all new participants in the plan and publish a list of plan participants annually.
- Act as a Peer Review Committee under rules and guidelines established by the American Dental Association.
- Discharge such other duties necessary to the efficient operation of the plan and Committee.
- Participant Body
- To consist of all plan participants, each with one vote. The participant body will meet for the following reasons:
- To elect the DFPP Committee members at large and their alternates.
- To elect two representatives to the DFPP Board of Directors.
- To vote on recommended revisions of the plan.
- To vote on recommendations for changes in the incentive income distribution schedule.
- For business as called by the chairman of the DFPP Committee.
- As petitioned by 20% of the voting body to consider issues and develop recommendations for the DFPP Committee.
- To consider business referred by two-thirds vote of the DFPP Committee.
- The participant body shall meet annually, as provided below, and at such other times as appropriate.
- Written notice giving the date, hour and place of all meetings shall be given to all participants in the plan by the DFPP Committee chairman at least 15 days prior to the meeting date. The DFPP Committee chairman shall preside and in his absence the vice chairman. Fifty percent (50 percent) of the plan participants shall constitute a quorum and a majority vote of those present and voting shall be required to conduct business, except that a two-thirds affirmative vote of those present and voting shall be required to approve recommendations for revisions of the plan. Decisions voted by the participant body are binding subject to approval by the DFPP Board of Directors.
- To consist of all plan participants, each with one vote. The participant body will meet for the following reasons:
- Annual Meeting -- Between the first and the 15th day of May, each year, the chairman of the Committee shall call a meeting of all participants in the plan for the purpose of electing one committee representative from the membership at large and other business as appropriate. Nominations shall be made from the floor. Voting for the Committee representative shall be by secret ballot. In the event a quorum is not present the chairman shall reschedule the meeting to a definite date and hour, but not more than ten days hence, and written notice of such meeting shall be given to all participants in the plan; or the Chairman may, at his discretion, direct that the election be held by mail ballot, in which event a ballot shall be sent to each participants of the plan and the participant receiving the highest number of votes cast shall be elected the representative of the Committee.
- DFPP Board of Directors
- All of the decisions and recommendations of the DFPP Committee as listed in 480.080 B will be subject to review by, and must be approved by, a DFPP Board of Directors. All items recommended by the participant body must be composed of the Chancellor of the University of Missouri-Kansas City, the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the Vice Chancellor for Administrative Affairs, both of the University of Missouri-Kansas City, the Dean of the School of Dentistry, the Chairman of the DFPP Committee and two representatives elected by the participant body. The Board will meet semi-annually in August and March and as requested by the Committee chairman or any member of the Board.
- Written notice giving the date, hour and place of all board meetings shall be given to each board member by the DFPP Committee chairman at least 10 days prior to the meeting date. The DFPP Committee chairman shall preside. Fifty percent (50%) of the board shall constitute a quorum and a majority vote of those present shall be required to conduct business.
- Revision of the Plan -- The DFPP Committee shall take all recommendations for revision of the plan to the plan participants. The chairman of the Committee shall call a meeting of all participants of the plan for the purpose of voting on the proposed revisions of the plan. In the event a quorum is not present the Chairman shall reschedule the meeting to a definite date and hour, but not more than ten days hence, and written notices of such meeting shall be given to all participants in the plan; or the Chairman may at his discretion direct that the revision be voted on by mail ballot, in which event a ballot shall be sent to each participant in the plan. Voting for the revisions shall be by secret ballot. If approved the proposed revisions shall be forwarded through the Board of Directors and President to the Board of Curators, University of Missouri, for their approval.
- Appeal Process for the Individual -- Any participant(s) perceiving unfair treatment under the provisions of the plan may proceed as outlined in the faculty grievance procedure of the University of Missouri.
- Professional Charges
- Annually each participant will review the schedule of fees and recommend any changes to the practice group administrator and the Committee.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Committee to recommend general operating policies under which professional fees will not be billed to the patient or third party.
- All professional charges will be initiated and signed by the provider of the service and submitted to the School of Dentistry Business Office for processing.
- Billing and Collection of Professional Fees
- All professional charge swill be imitated and signed by the provider of the service and submitted to the School of Dentistry Business Office for processing. Billing for professional charges will be distinct from other services and will indicate the name of a participant or group of participants of the plan. Fees collected shall be credited to the account of the participant or participants rendering the services for which the fee is collected as otherwise provided for in the plan.
- In the instance of contractual agreements, special billing arrangements may be accomplished through other mechanisms as provided for in the contractual agreement.
- Professional Leave -- A plan participant who is on professional leave shall be subject to University policies and procedures pertaining to professional leaves. The salary of a plan participant on professional leave shall be the base salary as provided in Section 460.060 of this plan and the portion of the base salary measured by plan income shall be paid from the Professional Leave Funds provided in this plan.
- Retirement and Other Staff Benefits
- For the purposes of determining average regular annual salary of a plan participant under the University of Missouri Retirement, Disability and Death Benefit Plan and for purposes of determining regular salary of a plan participant for other staff benefits such as life insurance and disability insurance, the base salary as provided in Section 460.060 of this plan shall be used and incentive salary under Section 460.070 of this plan shall be excluded.
- The first period for which base salary shall be used in determining retirement and other staff benefits shall commence with the date of adoption of this plan by the Board of Curators. For all periods prior to the date of adoption of this plan by the Board of Curators, salary for purpose of determining retirement and other staff benefits shall be determined in accordance with policies and procedures then in effect.
- Special Situations -- All fees for professional services rendered by a plan participant are assigned to The Curators of the University of Missouri, and a plan participant shall at no time have any ownership interest in uncollected fees. For situations described below the disposition of uncollected fees and payments to a plan participant shall be made in accordance with this section.
- Termination of Employment: Voluntary or Involuntary -- Upon termination of employment a plan participant shall be entitled to receive salary payments in accordance with his current salary contract for services rendered to the time of termination. Incentive salary, if any, will be based upon fees earned and collected at the date of termination. Uncollected fees at the date of termination, after deductions for the cost of operation of the plan, shall be allocated to the practice group account and the Dean's Office Account on a ration of 2 to 1.
- Death or Disability of a Plan Participant -- Upon the death or disability of a plan participant there shall be paid to the participant or the participant's estate all salary payments then due in accordance with his current salary contract for services rendered to the date of death or disability. In addition there shall be paid to the participant or the deceased participant's estate an amount equal to the participant's incentive salary based on uncollected fees at the time of his death or disability, reduced by the amount of such fees that are not in fact collected within six months after his death or disability, and further reduced by the deduction rate for costs of operation of the plan. Reasonable efforts shall be taken to collect all such accounts within the six month period. This additional payment shall be made to the participant or the estate of the deceased participant as soon after the end of the six months period as is practicable. Income from any fees uncollected at the end of the six-month period, after deductions for the costs of operation of the plan, shall be allocated to the practice group account and the Dean's Office Account on a ration of 2 to 1.
- Termination of Plan Participation -- If a plan participant ceases to generate income from professional fees he will no longer be a participant in the plan. The effective date of the termination of his participation shall be recommended by the practice group administrator subject to review by the DFPP Committee, and determined by the Dean. On termination of his participation, income from any uncollected fees of the individual, after deductions for the cost of operation of the plan, shall be allocated to the practice group account and the Dean's Office Account on a ration of 2 to 1.
- Fiscal Year and Transition -- The fiscal year of the plan shall be the fiscal year of the University of Missouri-Kansas City. Unencumbered balances in all accounts shall be carried forward to the succeeding year.
- Assignment of Fee -- Each participant shall execute the following assignment annually:
In consideration of my employment by The Curators of the University of Missouri and the salary payments described in the Dental Faculty Practice Plan, I hereby assign to The Curators of the University of Missouri all fees charged by me for professional services, as defined in the Dental Faculty Practice Plan. This assignment shall be an absolute assignment, subject only to the conditions that the fees charged by me shall not be altered, except as provided in the rules and regulations establishing said Plan.
I further agree that all monies received by me for such services shall be promptly turned over to the Business Office of the School of Dentistry and all checks made payable to me for such fees shall be promptly endorsed and delivered to said Business Office. It is distinctly understood that this assignment applies only to the income specifically identified in the Dental Faculty Practice Plan.
In consideration of my being permitted to participate in the Dental Faculty Practice Plan, I agree to fully cooperate therein and comply with all the rules and regulations relating thereto.
Agreement for Participation in Dental Faculty Practice Plan
This agreement is for the period through ______________.
________________, participant in the Dental Faculty Practice Plan of the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry, agrees to receive as a base portion of salary $ * from the Dental Faculty Practice Plan and $ from funds from other sources beginning and ending . I understand that my employment at the School of Dentistry is dependent upon my participation in the Faculty Practice** and that I will actively provide patient care day(s) per week. I have read, and will abide by, the rules and regulations of the plan.
University School Base $
DFPP Base $
Total Base Salary $
If income is generated over and above the amount necessary to meet DFPP Base portion of the salary, it will be distributed as provided under the rules of the Dental Faculty Practice Plan. I also understand that the overhead percentage figure is for this year and that all dental laboratory bills will be deducted from gross income before distribution of funds begins.
Dean, School of Dentistry
Practice Group Administrator
* This figure to be pro-rated on the beginning date of the practice.
** This statement applies only to faculty hired on or after September 1, 1982.