Chapter 320: Employment and Termination
320.050 Employee Status
Bd. Min. 2-27-76; Amended 9-26-97; Amended Bd. Min. 10-17-03, Amended 4-03-09.
- Administrative, Service and Support Staff Defined: Administrative, service and support employees are designated as regular, nonregular, or per diem. Only those employees designated as regular status are eligible to participate in the University's benefit programs. The following provisions defining regular employee, nonregular and per diem employee are in effect for all administrative, service and support employees, unless specifically exempted by policy.
- A Regular Employee is an administrative, service and support staff member expected to work at least 75 percent FTE with an indicated appointment duration of at least nine months. All regular employees are benefit eligible. Service credit under the UM retirement program requires a minimum of 1500 hours worked per year.
- A Nonregular Employee is an administrative, service and support staff member whose appointment does not qualify for regular employee status as defined. Employees may be reappointed beyond the initial appointment, but in no instance may a nonregular employee work 1500 hours per year (September 1 to August 31).
- A Per Diem Employee is an administrative, service and support employee whose appointment is not a part of an operating unit's regular work schedule and is scheduled to work only on an "as needed" basis. Work may be scheduled prospectively but should be considered as "elected" by the employee. Due to the nature of such an appointment, the employee may work as many hours as he/she elects, as approved by the University, without becoming eligible for University benefit programs. Such an employee is not extended benefits or rights of University employment policies for regular employees and may be excluded from future service at any time. Per diem employees are provided an hourly rate of pay following approved rate schedule(s). In all such per diem designations, approval is required by the Vice President for Human Resources.
- Benefit Eligible Employees:
- All regular employees are benefit eligible. All nonregular and per diem employees are not eligible for benefits.
- In the event that an employee with an initial benefit eligible appointment is changed to an appointment of 75 percent FTE or greater, but less than nine months in duration, the employee will continue to be considered benefit eligible.
- Individual salaries must be commensurate with FTE.
- A department is prohibited from requiring a benefit eligible employee to forego benefit entitlement as a condition of employment.
- Individuals who are working at UM through an exchange program, visiting scholars program, or other similar program, in which the individual is receiving compensation from another institution and not from UM, are not to be considered benefit eligible.
- Student employees, including but not limited to Graduate Teaching Assistants, Graduate Research Assistants, Graduate Instructors, and Student Assistants, are not benefit eligible.
II. The President is hereby authorized, subject to approval of the language by the General Counsel, to modify the language of benefit plan documents, as necessary to make them consistent with the above revisions of Section 320.050.