Chapter 320: Employment and Termination
320.080 Joint Appointments and Joint Titles
Executive Guideline No. 9, 10-18-74.
- Defined -- Joint appointments or joint titles as used herein shall mean either term or continuous appointments to at least one regular academic staff position as defined in Section 320.070 in more than one academic department, research unit, extension or other administrative unit.
- Primary Position and Primary Department -- Any joint appointment or joint title now in existence or hereafter made shall have assigned one staff position as the primary position and the department or unit within which that position is situated shall be deemed to be the primary department or unit as herein defined.
- Each current joint appointment or joint title shall be assigned a primary position by the administrative officer having direct authority over all departments or units involved in the joint appointment or joint title after receiving the recommendation of the administrative heads of the departments or units involved and shall endorse such assignment on the staff forms for the holder of the joint appointment or joint title.
- Any new joint appointment or joint title shall be assigned a primary position at the time of such appointment by the appointing authority after receiving the recommendations of the administrative heads of the department or units involved, which shall be endorsed on the appointment or staff form creating such joint appointment or joint title.
- Primary Department or Unit's Responsibilities -- The primary department or unit shall be responsible for decisions or recommendations regarding salary, promotion, leaves and other perquisites after receiving the recommendation of the other units involved and shall be responsible for securing agreement among the departments or units involved on the sharing of salary and support funds.
- Academic Department or Unit -- If the primary department or unit and one or more involved departments or units are academic departments or units, the primary department or unit shall be responsible for decisions regarding recommendations on tenure, sabbatical leaves and other academic perquisites.
- Non-academic Unit -- If the primary unit be non-academic, each academic department or unit involved shall be responsible for recommending to the primary unit decisions regarding tenure, sabbatical leaves and other academic perquisites, which recommendations shall be transmitted by the primary unit to the appointing authority.
- Tenure -- If tenure be recommended for a position by an academic department and granted, the first such department so recommending shall thereafter be responsible for funding for or securing agreement from the appointment authority for funding of such position.