Chapter 340: Employee Absences
Revised Bd. Min. 10-9-81; Amended Bd. Min. 7-22-83.
- In compliance with the laws of the State of Missouri, the following policy is established in respect to employees of the University of Missouri receiving time off with pay in order to provided them with an opportunity to vote at elections.
- The term "elections" as used herein shall be deemed to mean all elections which place local, state and national candidates and/or issues before the general public.
- Conditions for Granting Time Off -- Employees who are qualified and eligible to vote at any election held within the State of Missouri shall be relieved from duties and services at the University for a period of time for voting, which period shall not exceed three (3) successive hours, including off duty time, between the opening and the closing of the polls on the day of election.
- In providing the period of three (3) successive hours between the opening and closing of the polls if any scheduled working time is involved, the employee shall be paid for that part of the scheduled working time for which it is necessary for the employee to be absent; provided, however, that the employee has, prior to election day, contacted his supervisor and requested to be absent from work for the purpose of voting.
- The supervisor shall have the right to specify the time which employees shall be relieved from duties and services so as to provide the three (3) successive hours for voting and the supervisor may assign employees to different absentee periods so as to maintain sufficient working schedules and forces at the University of Missouri.
- Employees whose hours of work give them three (3) successive hours on election day between the opening and the closing of the polls when they are not on duty with the University of Missouri will not be eligible for any paid time off for the purpose of voting.
- If an employee who commutes cannot, because of his travel arrangements, reach his voting place within the period of three (3) successive hours between the opening and closing of the polls, he should arrange to cast an absented ballot.
- Any employee of the university who is a resident of another state and who commutes to work from another state will be treated the same as the resident of Missouri, in the case of a national election and primary held in preparation of a national election, but shall not be granted any paid time off for the purpose of state or local elections.
Next Rule: 340.160 Death in Family
Previous Rule: 340.140 Union Business