605 Surplus Property
Strategic Sourcing Specialists shall have the right to purchase used or surplus government or privately owned property within their delegated limits, up to $100,000 per bid or as a sole source through public auction, bid or negotiation. Any items over $100,000 must be approved by the CPO.
Certain items of property and equipment are available at significant cost savings through the Federal Surplus Property program, administered by the Missouri State Agency for Surplus Property. This policy defines the conditions governing the acquisition and use of property and equipment available through this program.
The Department of Surplus Property shall monitor all governmental property purchases, Federal or State, to insure adherence to the policies of these agencies of acquisition, use and disposal of the property. All rules and regulations imposed by the Federal Government or the State Agency of Surplus Property shall be adhered to, and these rules and regulations shall be disseminated to all departments using property acquired under this program.
Strategic Sourcing Specialists may purchase State and Federal surplus property within their delegated limits, up to $100,000 per bid or as a sole source. Any such purchases over $100,000 must have approval of the CPO.
It shall be within the jurisdiction of the Department of Surplus Property to authorize University personnel to sign receipts for, and take possession of any property from the State Agency of Surplus Property, and a list of personnel so authorized shall be maintained in Surplus Operations.
University property received that has a government value of $5,000 or more regardless of the acquisition cost shall be considered inventory items and must be reported to the Department of Surplus Property.
- Use of Government Surplus Property
Surplus property may be acquired only for educational or research purposes within the State of Missouri. Any acquisition for purposes of resale or other use is prohibited. All surplus property having a single item US Government acquisition cost of $3,000 or more, regardless of its cost to the University, and all motor vehicles:
- Must be placed in use for the purpose for which acquired no later than 12 months after acquisition.
- Must be used for the purpose for which acquired for a period of not less than 18 months, except for aircraft which must be used for a period of not less than 5 years.
- May not be sold, traded, leased, loaned, bailed, cannibalized, or disassembled for secondary purposes or otherwise disposed of or removed from the State of Missouri during the specified use period without prior written approval of the Federal Government.
- May be transferred between departments during the specified use period only if it will be used for purposes similar to those for which originally acquired.