Byline: Tracey Westfield, Communications Associate
Immunizations help prevent dangerous, and sometimes deadly, diseases like the flu, measles, and tuberculosis. Adults need to get their shots—just like kids do. This month is National Immunization Awareness Month and the perfect time to make sure you and your family are up to date.
Not sure what immunizations you need? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the following schedules:
Immunizations (also called vaccinations) don’t just protect you. They also protect the people around you. Some people in your family or community may not be able to tolerate certain vaccines because of their age or health condition. Protect yourself and those around you by staying up to date on your shots.
- Talk with a doctor or nurse about your immunizations. If you are enrolled in a university medical insurance plan, visit Coventry’s website to locate a provider near you.
- Find out which immunizations you may need by taking the CDC’s adolescent and adult vaccine quiz.
- Read our past article on getting your kids’ back-to-school physicals
- Immunizations and pregnancy
- Parents’ guide to childhood immunizations
- Three ways to fight the flu, from CDC
- The University of Missouri’s flu shot clinics for faculty and staff will begin in October. As we approach October, keep an eye on the Healthy for Life website for upcoming announcements.
- Do you want to advertise National Immunization Awareness Month in your departmental newsletter, Twitter feed, Intranet or other media? Do you want to host a departmental event? Use this National Immunization Awareness Month toolkit (PDF) from the Department of Health and Human Services. Or, try this toolkit from the National Public Health Information Coalition.
About the author: Tracey is a communications associate in the University of Missouri’s Total Rewards department. She has 15 years of experience in web communications.
Byline: Tracey Westfield Take 20 minutes out of your day to check your health. A screening helps you understand your
Get a head start on the 2016 Wellness Incentive by completing your Wellness Pledge during Annual Enrollment
You can get a head start on the 2016 Wellness Incentive during Annual Enrollment (October 19-30), which will be your first opportunity to sign the pledge.