Speeches, Presentations and Interviews
Stephen J. Owens, Interim President
Interim President: Jan. 7, 2011 - Feb. 14, 2012
Stephen J. Owens was appointed interim president by the board of curators Jan. 7, 2011 following the resignation of University of Missouri System President Gary D. Forsee. Owens, who served as the university's general counsel, provided leadership for the university system until President Timothy M. Wolfe began his term Feb. 15, 2012. Owens returned to serving as acting general counsel on Feb. 15, 2012. Click here to view systemwide communications from Interim President Owens.
- Missouri S&T Commencement: Dec. 17, 2011
- Interim President Owens speaks to the December 2011 graduating class of Missouri University of Science and Technology. His address highlights the history of the Rolla campus and the University of Missouri System. This commencement also touches upon the theme of embracing change and finding reasoned and principled compromises in an increasingly polarized world.
- Board of Curators Report: Oct. 21, 2011
- How do the arts enhance a university, a community and a state? They do so in meaningful ways, both perceptible and sometimes imperceptible. In remarks to the Board of Curators, Interim President Owens gives a snapshot of the University of Missouri’s aggregate impact on arts and culture in the state. Also included is a discussion of the value arts education brings to the system’s four university campuses.
- Board of Curators Report: June 17, 2011
- From jobs created at our research parks to the millions of dollars in state tax revenue generated by our employees, every dollar invested in the University of Missouri provides rich returns for the State of Missouri. In remarks to the Board of Curators, Interim President Owens discusses the value of the University of Missouri — both in terms of dollars and the intrinsic rewards that come with learning.
- President's Staff Award: May 25, 2011
- Interim President Owens recognizes Janet Sapp as the winner of the 2011 Presidential Award. Janet serves as secretary to the Vice President of Governmental Relations.
- MU Honors Convocation: May 14, 2011
- You never know where the road of life will ultimately take you, but having the ability to navigate life’s twists and turns with critical thinking skills and the confidence that comes with a college degree helps. In this speech, Interim President Owens congratulates May 2011 honors graduates at the University of Missouri-Columbia and encourages them to enjoy the ride on life’s winding road.
- Testimony to State House and Senate Committees: Feb. 16-17, 2011
- During the past decade, state support for the University of Missouri has declined while the system has added 17,000 students to its annual enrollment. Interim President Owens discusses the impact of this declining support in testimony to legislators. Click here to download supporting slides.
- Board of Curators Report: Jan. 28, 2011
- Interim President Owens discusses the autonomy provided to the board of curators by Missouri's constitution and the historic support Missourians have provided to the University of Missouri. Owens raises the question of whether this legacy is at risk as state appropriations continue to slide, creating ever-increasing funding gaps.
- Board of Curators Press Conference: Jan. 7, 2011
- This announcement was made after the resignation of President Gary Forsee and the appointment of Interim President Stephen Owens. Board Chair Warren Erdman and Owens address how the University of Missouri will move forward and continue along the strategic path outlined by Forsee.