Go to navigation Go to content

Total Rewards frequently asked questions

Browse FAQs or filter by topic, audience, or program.


If I’m 62 or older, can I continue to work in the UM System (UM) after retirement?

If you are at least age 62 at retirement:

  • You must complete all the necessary paperwork to apply for and initiate your retirement.
  • You may return to work, but only on a part-time basis. In other words, you may work at less than 75% full-time equivalency (FTE) at the department’s and university’s discretion.
  • The “less than 75% FTE” threshold is measured by including all appointments you may hold at any given time.
  • The decision of whether you will be offered continued employment is at the department’s and the university’s discretion.