Rehire requirements for retired or vested individuals who are less than age 62
The University of Missouri (UM) System requires the following process for rehiring a former employee under the Retirement, Disability and Death (RDD) Benefit Plan and (i) who is less than age 62 and (ii) who is currently receiving a retirement benefit, has received a lump sum retirement benefit, or has elected to receive a retirement benefit:
- The rehire cannot be pursuant to a discussion, understanding, or agreement (written or oral), that occurred prior to separation from employment with the University or commencement of a retirement benefit.
- The employee must have at least a 90-day break in employment before consideration for rehire, unless the rehire is a part of a competitive hiring process.
- The employee's signature is required on applicable benefit documents acknowledging the rehire requirements.
- If the former employee is receiving benefits, exceeding 74% FTE upon rehire will cause benefits to cease under the RDD.
- For purposes of measuring the 75% FTE limitation under the RDD all active appointments will be considered and those who reach or exceed 75% FTE will have their benefits terminated. It is highly recommended that the total of all active appointments remain below 70% FTE.
Failure to comply with the above rehire requirements may result in the rehired individual's termination of employment pursuant to applicable procedures.
These rules do not apply to anyone who is age 62 or older and has completed the applicable benefit documents for in-service distributions from the RDD.
Reviewed June 27, 2015.