The University of Missouri Research Board consists of over 20 faculty members appointed by the president for two-year terms. Its mission is to enhance the long-term quality and quantity of scholarship throughout the university by supporting meritorious research projects.
The purpose of the UM Research Board is to enhance the long-term quality and quantity of scholarship throughout the university by supporting meritorious research projects. An important goal is to leverage external funds by UM faculty by supporting promising new faculty and funding high quality new initiatives of senior faculty.
The goal is to leverage external funds by
- supporting promising new faculty
- funding of high quality new initiatives of senior faculty
This support is intended to:
- help promising new faculty initiate their research
- provide seed money to test new ideas in their preliminary stages before enough data have been gathered to submit a proposal for external funding
- provide modest resources for excellent scholarship in fields for which external support may be quite limited
- provide bridging funds
- provide matching funds sometimes required by external sponsors
The Board considers these key factors in the review of projects:
- quality of the proposed research or creative activity
- importance and probable impact the proposed work may have on the field
- potential of the project to obtain future external funding
- potential value for enhancing the stature of the university
- project design and procedures
- resources and environment available to carry out the project
- value for development of the applicant's research potential and progress
- quality, productivity, and current research funding of the applicant
- budget appropriateness in terms of the project and the board's resources, including consideration of need and availability of external support
The board has established programs for:
- individual or collaborative projects
- book publication subventions
No funds are set aside for specific programs or for specific types of proposals. Inter-departmental, inter-campus collaboration and new cross-disciplinary research initiatives are encouraged and may strengthen a proposal and serve as a positive factor in its evaluation. A commitment of partial support for a project from the campus, college or unit is not required, but it may be a positive factor in the review.
Awards are not renewable. The research board will not serve as a source of continuing support for specific projects or facilities. Awards normally are for a one-year period, but longer terms (up to a maximum of two years) are permitted if fully justified in the proposal.
|The board will NOT provide certain types of support. These include:|
Award Report Form Downloads
As a condition of grant acceptance you agreed to complete a report one year after termination of your project. To complete your Award Report you will need to access the Research Board Grant Application System at https://umresearchboard.missouri.edu/Login.aspx. Once you have logged in, click on Award Report on the left side and follow the instructions. If you have any questions or problems, please contact your campus research office.