The guiding principles that frame the process are:
- Technology to be proposed should be technology that supports the priorities and mission of eLearning, in particular online learners/learning, for use across the University of Missouri System (i.e., a System-wide license/contract).
- The review process should include communication with constituent groups across the University of Missouri System.
The process is described by the flowchart (Figure 1) and the text below:
- Faculty, staff, or students submit a technology name through an online portal at any time.
- The OeL performs a review.
- The OeL’s Instructional Design and Academic Technology teams, as well as the Department of IT, should be involved in the review.
- The OeL decides as to whether or not approve the technology to go for further review.
- If the decision is no, the OeL staff in Academic Technology communicates to the submitter the decision and the reasoning.
- The OeL will maintain a public list of technology that did not advance through the process with reasoning.
- The OeL staff, led by Academic Technology, writes a proposal for the technology.
- The proposal is sent to the eLearning Academic Council (AC), the eLearning Online Faculty Advisory Committee (Advisory), and the eLearning Finance Committee for review.
- The AC and Advisory will have a joint meeting to discuss the proposal with representatives from the OeL who can help answer specific questions regarding the technology.
- The AC and Advisory will gather information from their constituent groups on each campus.
- The AC, Advisory, and the Finance Committee will write letters describing their support, or lack thereof, and the reasoning behind it, within 1 month of receiving the proposal.
- The letters will be provided to the Oversight Committee, who will make the final decision on quarterly basis.
- The submitter will be notified of the final decision.
Figure 1. The process for requesting or proposing technology that supports online learners/learning for use across the University of Missouri System begins with submission of a specific request through an online portal, followed by an appropriate review and implementation, if the request is approved.