The University of Missouri System, located in Columbia, Missouri, is seeking qualified applicants for the position of intellectual property attorney in the Office of the General Counsel. The University of Missouri System is a four-campus research system with extension and distance learning services, an extensive health care network, and a total enrollment of more than 75,000 students and 23,000 faculty and staff. This position reports directly to the General Counsel and will require officing, or a frequent presence, in Columbia, Missouri, with appropriate telework arrangements possible.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing legal advice on the procurement, development, negotiation, licensing, and defense of the University’s intellectual property portfolio.
- Advising on the legal aspects associated with various transactions involving intellectual property and technology transfer (e.g., assignment, license, option, sponsored research, collaboration, consortium, clinical trial, material transfer, visiting scientist, inter-institutional, consulting, non-disclosure, data use, and waiver agreements).
- Overseeing the legal aspects associated with registration, licensing, enforcement, and defense of University-owned trademarks.
- Counseling faculty and staff on various copyright issues (including fair use, open source licensing, music licensing, photo/video releases, and the DMCA).
- Working with General Counsel to manage the enforcement of the University's intellectual property rights through litigation or otherwise
- Assisting in the development of intellectual property educational programs and policies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of all areas of intellectual property law, with a particular strong background in patent law and patent prosecution practices; ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization and external contacts; demonstrated skills in client service, oral and written communication and time management; proven ability to effectively develop trust, respect and cooperation across all areas of an organization and staff levels.
Please apply online at erecruit.umsystem.edu.