The following resources are designed to support supervisors who are reviewing workforce planning options provided by HR-710 in response to COVID-19. Supervisors will also find tools to support their teams through this process. For additional assistance, reach out to your campus human resources office (MU, MU Health, UMKC, Missouri S&T or UMSL) or the HR Service Center. Additional resources related to COVID-19 can be found on the COVID-19 Updates webpage.
- Workforce Planning in Response to COVID-19 Presentation
- HR-710 COVID-19 Payroll Reduction Measures for Administrative, Service and Support Employees
- HR-710 Q&As
- HR-720 Policy on Salary Reductions for Faculty and Other Academic Appointees
- HR-720 Q&As
- Layoff and Transition Assistance Resources
- Making Change More Comfortable (3m)
- Change Reactions in Six Stages (3m)
- Common Change Reactions (3m)
- Skills for Handling Change (3m)
- Managers Get Stressed Too: Managing Your Time (3m)
- Managing Employee Stress (2m)
Navigating Changes on Your Team
- Leaders Resource Guide: Delivering Difficult Messages to Those Affected by Payroll Reduction Measures
- Employee Resource Guide: Information for Those Affected by Payroll Reduction Measures
- Academic Resource Guide: Information for Those Affected by Salary Reductions
- Layoff Resource Guides
- Managing the Stress of Difficult Conversations (3m)
- Assessing Emotions (3m)
- Planning a Difficult Conversation (3m)
- Demonstrating the Right Mindset (3m)
Responding to Changes on Your Team
- Staying Motivated in Times of Change (3m)
- Reframing Change in Positive Ways (3m)
- Recognizing the Signs of Employee Stress (3m)
- Motivating Employees: Communication and Culture (3m)
- Acknowledging Employees' Experiences (3m)
- Allowing Employees to React (2m)
Planning for Changes on Your Team
Step 1: Analyze the current supply of time and skills.
- What technical skills exist on your team?
- Are employees looking for things to fill their time or challenged to complete their work?
Step 2: Determine the needs of the present and/or future needs of the organization.
- What are the mission critical goals of your unit?
- Are there increased or decreased demands right now? Do you anticipate anything different in the coming months?
Step 3: Identify gaps in needed skills or opportunities for expense reduction.
- If there is a shortage of skills and a demand for work, can new skills be learned quickly? Are there others who could be cross trained?
- Do you have capacity to offer another team or allocate toward expense reduction goals?
Step 4: Develop the way forward using the Workforce Planning Options provided by HR-710 and HR-720.
- What combination of strategies can you use to meet the financial needs of your unit while delivering on mission critical objectives?