Go to navigation Go to content

Finance & Accounting

The policies on this webpage have been streamlined and reformatted, and are now available on the University Policies webpage. We ask that you use this new resource, as future changes, additions to or eliminations of these policies will only be made to the University Policies webpage, and policy manuals you may have used in the past will no longer be updated. Note: On March 31, 2018, this resource will no longer be available. Please update your bookmarks to the University Policies webpage.

BPM-202 Disposition of Checks

Revised March 1, 2010


All University checks will be mailed directly to the payee except for payroll checks and checks issued for student loans, scholarships and stipends.

NOTE: Checks issued for student loans, scholarships and stipends are held for distribution by the Cashier's Offices.



The campus Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services (Director of Business Services for MU, and Controller for System) is authorized to approve exceptions to this policy and is responsible for determining the criteria for exception justification.


If a check is lost, never received or incorrectly written (wrong name or amount), the campus Accounting Office (Payroll Office for payroll checks) should be notified immediately.

If the check was processed in the normal pay cycle, is not an on-line check, is being replaced, and is not in the University's possession, obtain a signed affidavit before reprinting the check.

REFERENCE:  APM 50.22.1 Affiavit for Lost Check


Requests for special disposition of checks are made and approved on the PeopleSoft Voucher.

  • If two or more vouchers payable to the same payee are to be held, only one Hold Check Request is required.
  • Hold Checks must be picked up at the campus Accounting Office (Controller for System) by a representative of the department requesting the hold. The department will be notified when hold checks are available for pickup.