BPM-506 Cash Advances

Revised August 24, 2000

Cash Advances

Employees traveling on University business may be authorized to obtain a cash advance for minor travel expenses by using their University Travel Card at an Automated Teller Machine (ATM). When an individual uses an ATM machine, the advance will be charged to the individual's University Travel Card account. ATM usage fees for one transaction per University business trip will be allowed by the University.

Cash funds will not be advanced in support of travel expenses that can be charged to the University's corporate travel system account or the employee's University Travel Card, e.g., meals, lodging, etc.

Cash advances for travel are generally made to University employees only; advances for University students are permissible, if the following conditions are met:

  1. the student is currently enrolled;
  2. the travel is for University business and will be reimbursed from University funds;
  3. the advance is to pay for minor travel expenses; and
  4. the expenses could not be paid with the University's travel system account.

Cash advances for the support of travel of other individuals, who are neither University employees nor University students, must be made to the department chairman, dean or other authorized employee who is responsible for repayment of the advance.

Repayment of Cash Advances

All cash advances received from the campus cashier or other designated office must be repaid in full within 21 calendar days following completion of the trip. Failure to repay a cash advance within this period may result in the amount being deducted from payroll earnings and may further result in loss of this courtesy. See Cardholder Responsibilities, BPM 503 University Travel Card. Failure by a student to repay a cash advance within this period may result in an assessment to the student's account and/or a charge to the student organization's University account code.

Submission of a Travel Expense Voucher does not constitute repayment of a cash advance for travel.