Go to navigation Go to content

Reporting Accidents & Incidents

The policies on this webpage have been streamlined and reformatted, and are now available on the University Policies webpage. We ask that you use this new resource, as future changes, additions to or eliminations of these policies will only be made to the University Policies webpage, and policy manuals you may have used in the past will no longer be updated. Note: On March 31, 2018, this resource will no longer be available. Please update your bookmarks to the University Policies webpage.

BPM-704 Employee Injuries & Occupational Diseases

Revised July 1, 2009


Any injuries to University employees which occur in the course of or arise out of their employment must be reported in writing.  All claims of occupational disease or illness must be reported in writing.

Accidents resulting in death or severe injury are to be immediately reported by telephone to the appropriate campus office.


The appropriate campus contacts for reporting employee injuries and occupational diseases are:

MU - Risk & Insurance Management / (573) 882-7019

UMHC - Work Injuries / (573) 884-9924

UMKC - Environmental Health & Safety / (816) 235-5357

S&T - Environmental Health & Safety / (573) 341-4305

UMSL - Human Resource Services / (314) 516-5639

UM System - Risk & Insurance Management / (573) 882-7019


The supervisor must immediately refer an employee injured in an accident to a campus approved medical facility.  Contact the appropriate campus office for procedures and listing of approved medical facilities.


The supervisor or administrative head is responsible for taking immediate, necessary action to prevent the occurrence of a similar injury.


All injuries and/or claims of occupational diseases involving employees, or students who are employees, must be reported in writing on a Report of Injury form (UM WC-1) as soon as possible.

Reports must be:

  1. Initiated by the supervisor or administrative head of the injured employee and submitted to the appropriate campus office within 24 hours after the injury occurred.
  2. The campus contact enters the Report of Injury information into the RMIS database.

NOTE:  All non-employee injuries must be reported in writing on either a Student or General Public Injury and Property Damage Report or a Vehicle Accident Report as appropriate.


The cost of necessary medical care for an employee injured in a work related accident or incurring an occupational disease is paid through the University Workers' Compensation Program if the claim is compensable and treatment is received from the authorized provider.


Employees must not make any statement regarding a loss to the press or anyone other than members of or as directed by:

  • Campus Business Services Office
  • Campus Police Department
  • Office of Risk & Insurance Management
  • Office of the General Counsel