CRM 406 - Safe Combinations
Records to Be Kept:
Campus Business Services will establish and maintain a record of the location and combination for all walk-in vaults. Individual departments are responsible for maintaining records on smaller combination safes. Campus Business Services will periodically review with departments the University policies and what is considered good business practices with regard to vaults and safes.
Reporting Combinations :
Of Walk-In Vaults - All combinations of walk-in vaults are reported to Campus Business Services.
Method of Reporting -
- Each combination is recorded and sealed in a separate envelope with the following information entered on the outside:
- Location of vault (room number and building)
- Description of vault (make, model, serial number and University inventory number)
- Date envelope was prepared
- Signature of person responsible for the vault
Note - When a change in combination is being reported, "CHANGE" is also entered on the outside of the envelope.
- One or more envelopes are sealed in a larger envelope marked "TO BE OPENED ONLY BY THE CAMPUS BUSINESS SERVICES" and hand-carried to that office.
Safe Combinations :
Knowledge of to Be Limited - Combinations are to be given only to a minimum number of employees required to have access to the safe.
Not to Be Written Down - Combinations are to be memorized and are not to be written down except as required for reporting combinations of walk-in vaults to Campus Business Services.
Care in Using - Safes are to be opened in such a manner that other persons cannot observe and determine the combination.
Changing the Combination - When a person knowing the combination is no longer to have access to the safe, the combination should be changed immediately.
Each Department - Each department having a combination safe must establish and maintain a record of each person given the combination, dates the combination was last changed, and the reason the combination was changed.
Combinations for smaller safes should be maintained in some secure manner within the department, but should not be reported to Campus Business Services.