UM System Legislative Priorities
Supporting the University of Missouri System is an investment in the future of our state.
The university serves Missouri citizens and communities through its mission of teaching, research, public service and economic development across our four campuses, University of Missouri Health Care and University of Missouri Extension. Support of these legislative priorities will help us carry out our core mission and provide a significant return on Missouri's investment.
Funding the Core
In total, UM System requests $491 million in core funding:
- $468.8 million in core operations as a single appropriation line to fulfill our statewide mission and continue to provide shared services to campuses at a lower cost.
- Fund recurring budget lines that support partnerships with other institutions in areas such as medicine, pharmacy, engineering and dentistry to help meet workforce needs.
- $22.4 million in performance funding to recognize that the UM System met all five performance measures this year.
Building for the Future
UM faces a $1.6 billion backlog of maintenance and repair needs:
- Costs to repair aging facilities across our campuses increase each year that funding is not provided.
- We have raised private funds to support 50-50 private/public projects and need a state commitment that matching funds may come in the future.
Coordinating Degree Programs
We support the MDHE task force report on mission and degree approval because it:
- Affirms our role as Missouri’s research university.
- Designates us as the exclusive provider of research doctorates and professional degrees.
- Defines a more rigorous process for program approvals across all of higher education.
- Establishes guidelines for collaborative programs among the public institutions in engineering and other areas.
- We support legislation that mirrors the task force recommendations that were agreed to by all public two- and four-year institutions.
Can't find what you are looking for?