Travel and Expense
Top 10 T&E Links
Generally speaking, what is T&E?
Within the University of Missouri System, T&E is an electronic transaction documentation tool using the Peoplesoft platform. It is THE tool for faculty and staff receiving a university payroll check to document authorization of travel, obtain a cash advance for travel, and be reimbursed for university business expenses incurred and paid for personally. Employees should determine the most cost effective purchasing method for specific procurement needs in accordance with University Procurement Guidelines.
Within the University of Missouri System, when should I use T&E?
- T&E should be used for documenting authorization of travel
- T&E should be used for obtaining a cash advance for:
- T&E should be used for reimbursement of:
- Business Meals
- Business Mileage
- Non-Overnight Business Travel
- Overnight Business travel
- Foreign Business travel
- Approved Moving Expenses
- Non-Travel Business Expenses
Within the University of Missouri System, how does the T&E System work?
When using the T&E System, the reimbursement process is as follows:
- Travel occurs; expenses are incurred, and expenses are paid for personally, by university employee.
- Either the university employee or their travel delegate creates an expense report using T&E.
- The expense report creator attaches all receipts and necessary documents to the expense report in accordance with Business Policies. Submit Travel and Expense receipts by clicking HERE.
- The expense report creator submits the expense report for approval.
- If the expenses are related to a grant (as identified by the chartfield selected during expense report creation) the expense report will automatically route to the grant’s Project Manager/Principle Investigator for approval upon submission (Go to step 8). If the expense report is not grant related this step will be skipped (Go to Step 6).
- The expense report will automatically route to the fiscal approver assigned by the DeptID being charged on the expense report.
- The Fiscal Approver will either return the expense report to its creator for further clarification or approve for payment.
- Once the Fiscal Approver or Principal Investigator approves, the expense report goes into an automatic electronic prepay audit process where random expense reports are selected for review by a prepay auditor.
- If the expense report is selected for review by pre-pay audit, the auditor will review the expense report and either approve, or send back to the expense report creator for further clarification.
- If the expense report has not been selected for pre-pay audit and has been approved by all required approvers, the expense report is paid.
- All expense reports are reimbursed to employees by ACH, their payment will be wired on the night the expense report has been approved. The bank account they have selected to receive their university paycheck is set up as the default for this, however; the employee can change this information if they desire in their T&E profile under “user preferences".
Expense Report Workflow