HR-204 Position Titles (UM System)
All University positions must be approved, classified, and assigned official titles and title codes that must be used on all payroll records, budget documents, personnel and other official records and publications. This policy (HR-204) sets forth those titles approved and classified as of the effective date indicated. These tables are updated on an annual basis only. Individuals affected by changes made during the interim period will be directly notified.
The following definitions are provided for the Position Title Code List for Administrative, Service and Support Staff.
Exempt Status: The codes in this column designate those job titles that are eligible for overtime pay (N = nonexempt) and those that are not eligible for overtime (E = exempt).
Salary Range: For job titles assigned to a salary or wage matrix, the minimum and maximum rate of pay, of the assigned salary range, are shown stated in hourly or annual rates. Titles classified under the University's Administrative/Professional program have formulated salary ranges. Information pertaining to these job titles can be obtained from the department administrator or the campus Human Resource Services.
Salary Level: The alphabetic codes in this column designate the salary or wage matrix to which a given job title is assigned; the numeric codes designate the range assignment within that matrix. These codes are: A - UMC - Athletic Department Matrix (Exempt; used as guidelines only for determining Coach and Assistant Coach salaries); E - Exempt Salary Matrix (Exempt; assigned to job titles following the University's market priced classification program); M - Office/Technical Salary Matrix (Nonexempt); H and HH - Service/Maintenance Wage Matrix (Nonexempt; the steps for staff employees holding job titles assigned to these matrices include the first two (2) or four (4) rates noted within the range); L - Service and Maintenance Wage Rate for Lead employees (Nonexempt; the fifth or last rate noted in the appropriate H/HH Service/Maintenance Wage Matrix designates the job rate to be paid employees holding a Lead position). Positions for which University policy permits payroll deductions for union dues are designated by an asterisk (*).
Requesting New or Revised Titles
Requests for new or revised titles for teaching & research positions must be submitted in writing to the Office of the Chancellor (Office of Vice President for Academic Affairs for UM System). Requests for new or revised titles for administrative, service & support positions must be submitted to the campus Human Resource Services office on a Position Classification Questionnaire (UMUW Form 66 or 66AP). That office receives approval for new classifications from UM Human Resources and notifies the department of the new classification title.
Guidelines for Use of Student Titles
Persons who meet the following criteria are eligible to work in a student title:
- The individual must be enrolled at the university of Missouri. Enrollment during summer is not required as long as the student was enrolled during the Winter semester and is pre-enrolled for the Fall semester.
- The individual's association with the University must primarily relate to the pursuit of an academic program.
- The individual's employment is not required to be in his/her field of study if an undergraduate but may be required for graduate assistantship appointments.
Campuses may develop an expansion of these guidelines to limit number of hours worked, establish number of hours enrolled, requirements to hold graduate appointments, level of compensation, etc.
Student Titles as of September 2001
- Graduate Assistant 4710
- Graduate Fellow 4680
- Graduate Instructor 4685
- Graduate Library Assistant 4690
- Graduate Research Assistant 4715
- Graduate Teaching Assistant 4717
- Peer Learning Assistant 6669
- Student Assistant - Clerical 8881
- Student Assistant - Craft/Trades 8882
- Student Assistant - Professional 8883
- Student Assistant - Service 8884
- Student Assistant - Technical 8885
- Student Assistant - Farm 8886
- Student Research Assistant 8875
- Student Teaching Assistant 8880
Date Created: 9/26/97
Last Updated: 11/06/2001