Systemwide Communications - November 11, 2011
November 14-18 is Live United Week. We are in the home stretch of the 2011 MU/UM United Way drive and near the 90 percent mark toward our goal of $690,000.
“Reaching goal” means “reaching out” through United Way agencies to change so many lives in so many ways for the good. Among them:
- A 16-year-old celebrates his first-ever birthday party because there is Rainbow House to shelter and support him.
- An 88-year-old woman is safe and active at Adult Day Connection, enabling her daughter to keep working.
- OATS solves the transportation problem for five dialysis patients who lost alternative funding to get to their treatment sessions.
- A young woman graduates from high school because of the security and support she received while living in a group home.
- Families of two soldiers in service to our country and killed in action receive ongoing support and financial assistance.
What about MU students? They really demonstrate the “Live United” spirit! Three hundred students are Big Brothers or Big Sisters, constituting nearly 40 percent of all the “Bigs” at the agency. Two hundred students volunteer through the University Y. Four intern at True North, and nearly 20 are involved in service learning at Rainbow House.
And there's MORE: MU students are competing with KU students in fundraising! Help them beat KU for the third year in a row by buying several “ONE MIZZOU Lives United” T-shirts. The shirts are student-designed, come in both bright and honey gold, and cost only $15 ($10 for children). They are available at Schnucks on Forum Blvd., Campus Bar and Grill, on campus during Live United Week, or can be ordered online at www.uwheartmo.org/one-mizzou-lives-united-t-shirts (or click the link on the MU/UM campaign website).
Don't miss the Online Auction beginning Nov. 14! All proceeds go to the Student MU-KU challenge. During Live United Week, check out www.unitedway.missouri.edu/auction for information about auction items including:
- The opportunity to beat Big MO at the Texas Tech game
- A ride in the Helmet Car
- A handcrafted birdhouse
- And many others
Think “One Mizzou!” Think “Live United!” Think “Finish Line and Goal!” Be part of it all!
Go online now to make a donation at www.unitedway.missouri.edu or print out the form that is available on the website or from your Unit Chair. Thank You!
Stephen J. Owens
Brady J. Deaton