University of Missouri Faculty Scholars
It is my pleasure to announce the University of Missouri Faculty Scholars program for 2013-2014. This new program is designed to assist faculty as they adjust to their new academic responsibilities and environments, to introduce them to innovative teaching methods, to support them in their scholarly work and to provide opportunities for them to network within their own campus as well as across the four campuses of the University of Missouri System. The program is dedicated to promoting the success of new faculty by providing support through retreats, monthly forums and opportunities to interact with experienced faculty who have achieved success at the university.
A crucial focus of the program is increasing faculty retention and productivity by building collegial relationships. The UM Faculty Scholars program aims to help new faculty form teaching and research alliances that create a sense of belonging and foster opportunities for collaboration.
The UM Faculty Scholars is an exciting effort! I encourage you to refer below for information on how to participate or nominate colleagues who are in their second, third or fourth year at the University of Missouri. If you have questions about the application process or the UM Faculty Scholars program, please contact my office at 573-882-6396.
Senior Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
University of Missouri System
University of Missouri Faculty Scholars
The University of Missouri Faculty Scholars (UMFS) program is designed to support the efforts of the university to acclimate and retain new faculty members. In this unique program, scholars participate in campus-specific activities and in system-wide programs designed to create avenues for communication and collaboration across the four campuses of the UM System. The UMFS program offers new ideas for thinking about research, teaching, scholarship and engagement on each campus.
UM Faculty Scholars Goals
The goal of the UMFS program is to support cohorts of new faculty members by providing opportunities to:
- Construct academic portfolios adequate for examining, portraying, explaining and highlighting their academic lives and contributions to the university’s mission;
- Learn the techniques, strategies and activities faculty need to become effective educators and help the UM System remain a learning-centered institution;
- Learn how to integrate teaching and scholarly activities; and
- Develop collegial networks and collaborations with their university peers.
UM Faculty Scholars Events
Participants in the UMFS program are expected to attend monthly on-campus activities as well as the three system-wide retreats. On-campus activities will include a variety of learning opportunities that will address topics designed to support faculty development and enhance faculty roles in student success.
- UM Faculty Scholars participants are selected from tenure track and non-tenure track ranked faculty in their second, third and fourth years of employment on the four UM campuses.
- Participation in the program lasts one year.
- UM Faculty Scholars are selected to create a diverse distribution of academic disciplines represented within each cohort. Interested colleagues are encouraged to express their interest to their department chairs and deans.
- UM Faculty Scholars are required to participate in monthly programs on their own campuses and in system-wide events.
- Participants will be reimbursed to carpool to system-wide retreats. Lodging, meals and materials will be provided for the retreats.
Systemwide Retreats for 2013-2014
Building Your Academic Portfolio
October 3-5, 2013
Lodge of the Four Seasons
Lake Ozark, MO
Integrating Teaching and Scholarship
February 20-21, 2014
Capitol Plaza Hotel
Jefferson City, MO
Course Design and Technology
May 19-20, 2014
Courtyard by Marriott
Applications for the 2013-2014 program are due to your provost's office by May 31, 2013. To participate, download and complete the application form.