Chapter 170: Communications
170.060 University Identification and Symbols
Bd. Regs. 1949; Bd. Min. 1-19-68, p. 33,610; Bd. Min. 2-16-73, p. 36,592; Bd. Min. 12-19-75; Bd. Min. 7-29-88; Bd. Min. 12-2-88; Bd. Min. 7-18-96, Bd. Min. 6-1-07, Bd. Min. 11-29-07.
- The University Seal -- The official seal of the University of Missouri as adopted in March, 1903, is and shall be the only seal used by the University on any campus thereof, except, that the administration is authorized to furnish for the registrar on each campus an embossing stamp for the purpose only of certifying student records and transcripts, each of which shall clearly designate its intended purpose.
Standards governing the use of the University seal are detailed in the document, Guidelines for Display of the Official Seal of the University of Missouri, approved by the Board of Curators in July, 1996, which is available from the campus publication office, the UM System Office of University Relations, and on the Internet at: http://www.umsystem.edu/ums/ur/um_seal_index
- Name Identification -- The official and legal name of the University of Missouri is embodied in state statute as “The Curators of the University of Missouri.” This name shall appear in all official and legal documents of the University. The organizational units that comprise the University of Missouri consist of the following:
- University of Missouri System -- This name shall refer to the unified, state-wide, multi-campus University of Missouri System and the administration for the System. First reference shall be the University of Missouri System. Second and subsequent references may be UM System, University System, or University. In addition, the UM System officials may have occasion from time to time to refer to the entire university as the University of Missouri.
- Campuses of the University of Missouri System -- Reference to each respective campus of the university shall be described in this section:
- University of Missouri-Columbia: For purposes of official correspondence, first reference to the UM campus in Columbia shall be to the University of Missouri-Columbia. Second and subsequent references may be to the University of Missouri, MU or Mizzou. In recognition of the historic status of the Columbia campus as the first campus to bear the name of the University of Missouri, the University of Missouri-Columbia may use the form “University of Missouri” in written communications (print and electronic) relating to student and faculty recruitment, advancement (fundraising, alumni relations, marketing), intercollegiate athletics, and other similar public relations functions.
- Missouri University of Science and Technology: For purposes of official correspondence, first reference to the UM campus in Rolla shall be to the Missouri University of Science and Technology. Second and subsequent references may be Missouri S&T (effective January 1, 2008).
- University of Missouri-Kansas City: For purposes of official correspondence, first reference to the UM campus located in Kansas City shall be to the University of Missouri-Kansas City. Second and subsequent references may be UMKC.
- University of Missouri-St. Louis: For purposes of offical correspondence, first reference to the UM campus located in St. Louis shall be to the University of Missouri-St. Louis. Second and subsequent references may be UMSL.
- The respective campuses may also use the following forms for mascots:
(1) Missouri Tigers
(2) UMKC Kangaroos
(3) Missouri S&T Miners (effective January 1, 2008)
(4) UMSL Tritons
- The Office of the President and staff will be identified as the System administration.
- University Colors -- The following colors shall be the official colors of the respective campuses of the University of Missouri System and shall be used in academic dress and in athletic uniforms:
- University of Missouri-Columbia -- Black and Gold
- University of Missouri-Kansas City -- Royal Blue and Gold
- Missouri S&T (effective January 1, 2008) -- Silver and Gold
- University of Missouri-St. Louis -- Red and Gold
- University Flag -- Each campus shall have a flag which shall be divided diagonally from the upper left hand corner to the lower right hand corner with the top half (upper right) being gold and the lower half (lower left) being the other color of the campus and shall bear in the center the official University seal.
- Use of University Flag -- The University Flag shall be used only on occasions of ceremony, particularly when the President, Deans, and Faculty appear in their academic gowns or on other such formal occasions designated by the President. When the University Faculty marches in academic procession this official flag should be carried in front of the column by some person officially designated. It shall be kept at all times in the Office of the President.
- Use of University Stationery -- No person or persons operating a company or business of any description shall use University stationery in its business correspondence, whereby it is made to appear to the people of the State that the business is a part of the University.