IBM Cognos Business Intelligence
The University of Missouri Task Force on Reporting Strategies selected IBM Cognos Business Intelligence (Cognos) as the tool for generating reports on PeopleSoft data. Cognos is a business intelligence tool to be used for centralized and standardized reporting on University of Missouri data.
Current UM Cognos training includes training documentation and an interactive web-based Query Studio tutorial, allowing users to learn about Query Studio (the basic Cognos reporting tool) without the requirement of a Query Studio license.
The following training materials are for accessing and running E-Commerce reports.
UM Training Documents
Introduction to Cognos Connection
Cognos Query Studio Tutorials
- Lesson 1 - Accessing Cognos
- Lesson 2 - Navigating Query Studio
- Lesson 3 - Creating and Formatting a List Report
- Lesson 4 - Sorting Lists
- Lesson 5 - Grouping Lists
- Lesson 6 - Aggregating Lists
- Lesson 7 - Applying Conditional Formatting
- Lesson 8 - Expanding and Collapsing List Detail
- Lesson 9 - Sectioning Lists
- Lesson 10 - Filtering Lists
- Lesson 11 - Filtering Lists Using Boolean Filters
- Lesson 12 - Setting Up Prompts
- Lesson 13 - Calculating Data
- Lesson 14 - Using Custom Groups
- Lesson 15 - Creating a Crosstab Report
- Lesson 16 - Creating a Nesting Crosstab Report
- Lesson 17 - Using Comparative Calculations
- Lesson 18 - Creating a Chart Report
- Lesson 19 - Sorting Charts
- Lesson 20 - Working with Reports in Cognos Connection
These tutorials require the use of the Adobe Flash Player.
About Cognos Licensing
Depending on what products that the user is licensed to use, Cognos users at UM fall into three categories:
- Advanced Report Consumer (also known as Cognos Consumer) - Advanced Report Consumer is the basic Cognos user type in the enterprise implementation of Cognos at UM. An Advanced Report Consumer is permitted to use Cognos reports, and create and use Workspaces (the new Cognos 10 dashboard object). Access to reports is determined by the report developer and requires approval of the data owner.
- Business Author (formerly Query Author) - A Business Author is licensed to use the basic Cognos reporting tool, Query Studio. This license is ideal for ad-hoc reporting.
- Professional Author - A Professional Author is licensed to use Report Studio and Business Insight/Cognos Workspace Advanced, advanced Cognos reporting tools that allow the creation of more complex reports than Query Studio. The bulk of Cognos reporting at UM to date has been done in Report Studio.
About Cognos Packages
A Package is a specially prepared data model required for reporting in IBM Cognos. Each UM campus has one or more staff licensed to build Cognos Packages. It is highly recommended that report writers work with their campus package developer before building reports.
If you have questions that are not answered by the information on these pages or if you need assistance, please contact Enterprise Applications Services Reporting Team .