Consultant Procedures and Design Guidelines
Consultant Procedures and Design Guidelines
University of Missouri's Consultant Procedures and Design Guidelines Manual is intended to assist architects, engineers, design professionals, and Design/Build contractors (A/E) in understanding the University's policies, the minimum design and submittal criteria, and the basic minimum requirements for material and products to be included in all University projects.
- The University of Missouri Consultant Procedures and Design Guidelines are controlled from this site, unless noted.
- The appropriate edition of the Consultant Procedures and Design Guidelines for Consultants with active UM design projects is referenced in the agreement between the University and the Consultant.
- Consultants are responsible for downloading the standards from this site.
The manual has the following sections:
Section 1 - Orientation
Section 1, Orientation, describes the general business relationship between the consultant and University.
Section 2 - Planning and Contract Development Guidelines
Section 2, Planning and Contract Development Guidelines, list University Codes, standards, design review submittal requirements, drawing, and project manual requirements.
- Section2.1, Planning and Contract Document Development Guidelines for Design-Bid-Build Delivery Method
- Section 2.2, Planning and Contract Document Development Guidelines for Design Build Delivery Method
- Section 2.3, Planning and Contract Document Development Guidelines for Construction Manager at Risk Delivery Method
- Section 2.4, Planning and Contract Document Development Guidelines for Master Construction Delivery Method
Section 3 - Design Guidelines
Click on a Division title to expand the selection and uncover additional information.
Section 3, Design Guidelines, provides minimum design requirements to be included in all Unversity Projects. Section 3 applies to all delivery methods.
- 230000-Heating, Ventilating, and Air-Conditioning (HVAC)
- 230001-Mechanical Room Planning & Equipment Access
- 230002-Biocontainment Labs General
- 230003-General Chemistry Laboratories
- 230593-Contractor Scope for Owner Supplied TAB
- 230713-HVAC Duct Insulation
- 230719-HVAC Piping Insulation
- 230900-JCI Control Systems
- 232100-Building Hydronic Piping and Pump Systems
- 232200-Steam and Condensate Piping and Pump System
- 233000-HVAC Air Distribution
- 233600-Air Terminal Units
- 233700-Air Outlets and Inlets
- 233816-Fume Hoods
- 236200-Packaged Refrigerant Cooling Systems
- 236513-Cooling Towers
- 237000-Central Air Handling Units
- 237200-Air to Air Energy Recovery Units
- All Schedules
- AHU Chilled Water Coil-Single
- AHU Hot Water Preheat Coil Piping Drawing
- AHU Hot Water Reheat Coil Piping Drawing
- 260500-Common Work Results for Electrical
- 260519-Low Voltage Electrical Power Conductors and Cables
- 260526-Grounding and Bonding for Electrical Systems
- 260533-Raceway and Boxes for Electrical Systems
- 260553-Identification for Electrical Systems
- 260573-Low Voltage Electrical Overcurrent Protective Device Coordination Study
- 260574-Low Voltage Arc Flash Hazard Analysis
- 262116-Low Voltage Service Entrance
- 262200-Low Voltage Transformers
- 262400-Switchboards, Panelboards and Motor Control Centers
- 262923-Variable-Frequency Motor Controllers
- 26726-Wiring Devices
- 262800-Low Voltage Circuit Protective Devices
- 264100-Faciltiy Lightning Protection
- 265100-Interior Lighting
- 333100-Sanitary Sewer Systems
- 331113-Water Distribution Piping
- 331114-Potable Water Horizontal Directional Drilling
- 331216-Water Utilities Distribution Valves
- 331219-Water Utilities Distribution Fire Hydrants
- 331233-Water Utilities Metering
- 331300-Disinfection of Water Utility Distribution
- 336113-Hydronic Energy Distribution
- 336115-Hyrdonic Energy Distribution-Electrical Components
- 336117-Hyrdronic Energy Distribution-Chilled Water Valves
- 336311-Steam Energy Distribution General Requirements FMT
- 336313-Steam Energy Distribution Piping
- 336315-Steam Energy Distribution Piping Specialities
- 336317-Steam Energy Distribution Manual Valves
- 336319-Pipe Supports
- 336321-Steam Energy Distribution Thermal Insulation
- 336333-Steam Energy Distribution Metering
- 336340-Steam Manholes and Structures
- 336341-Steam Manholes and Structures Accessories
- 336344-Steam and Condensate Chase
- 336345-Precast Concrete Utility Structures-Lids
- 336347-Steam Concrete Walk Tunnels
- 336352-Concrete Requirements-Concrete Reinforcement
- 336354-General Concrete Requirements-Waterproofing
- 337000-Electrical Utilities
- 337119-Electrical Underground Ducts
- 337119.13-Electrical Manholes and Handholes
- 337149-Medium Voltage Wiring
- 337173.33-Electric Meters
- 337313-Liquid-Filled Utility Transformers
- 337700-Medium Voltage Utility Switchgear
- 334000-Storm Drainage System
- 336350-Cast in Place Concrete for Utilities
- 336351-Concrete Requirements-Concrete Formwork
- 336353-General Concrete Requirements-Joint Sealants
Previous version of the Consultant Procedures and Design Guidelines
- 2015.01 Changes
- Section 220.127.116.11.1 Changed ADAAG to ADA Standards
- Section 18.104.22.168.1 Changed ADAAG to ADA Standards
- Section 22.214.171.124 Added Construction Manager at Risk
- Section 126.96.36.199 Added “The Construction Manager shall be copied on all correspondence necessary to fulfill their required duties.
- Added Section 188.8.131.52 The consultant will have the responsibility to collaborate with the Construction Manager so they may fulfill their required duties, including, but not limited to the following:
- Throughout the development of the design of the Project, the consultant with the Construction Manager shall jointly schedule and attend regular meetings with the Owner. The Construction Manager will consult with the Owner and Architect regarding site use and improvements and the selection of materials, building systems and equipment. The Construction Manager will provide recommendations on construction feasibility; actions designed to minimize adverse effects of labor or material shortages; time requirements for procurement, installation and construction completion; and factors related to construction cost, including estimates of alternative designs or materials, preliminary budgets and possible economies.
- Based upon the Construction Cost Budget, the Construction Manager will provide an evaluation of the program and Construction Cost Budget, each in terms of the other. The consultant is still required to provide estimates of construction cost as part of the Basic Services listed in the Standard Consulting Agreement. The consultant shall collaborate with the Construction Manager on the estimated construction costs. The consultant is still responsible to provide a design within the owner’s Construction Cost Budget.
- The regular meeting described in Section 184.108.40.206.1 shall serve as a forum for the exchange of information concerning the Project and review of the design submittals with the Owner and Construction Manager.
- The Construction Manager will assist in the consultant’s investigation and assessment of the existing facilities and the existing conditions at the site of the Project.
- The Construction Manager will develop and manage a construction management plan so that the Work is coordinated and done in a manner so as to avoid interference with any existing facilities. The Construction Manager shall also develop safety, security and other requirements for the Project to protect the public, workers, the Owner, and the property of the Owner, from risks and hazards as a result of the continued use of the existing facilities during the construction of the Project. The consultant shall review this plan to ensure that conflicting requirements are not stated in the bidding documents.
- The Construction Manager shall initiate meetings with the consultant to explore methods in which the environmental performance and sustainability of the Work for the Project might be improved and the environmental impact reduced. The Construction Manager shall, in conjunction with the consultant, evaluate the selection of products and materials and/or the adoption of construction or architecting methods, techniques and processes which result in or involve:
- reductions in waste;
- reductions in energy consumption;
- reductions in utility water consumption;
- reductions in CO2 emissions;
- reductions in materials from non-renewable sources;
- reductions in commercial vehicle movements;
- maintenance or optimization of biodiversity;
- maintenance or optimization of ecologically valuable habitat; and
- improvements in whole life performance.
- Section 220.127.116.11.1 Added “and reviewed with the CMR’s estimate.”
- Section 18.104.22.168.4 Added “Compare with the estimate provided by the Construction Manager and collaborate findings.
- Section 22.214.171.124.5 Added “Compare with the estimate provided by the Construction Manager and collaborate findings.”
- Added Section 126.96.36.199.6 Added “Compare with the estimate provided by the Construction Manager and collaborate findings.”
- Section 188.8.131.52.1 Changed ADAAG to ADA Standards
- Section 184.108.40.206.1 Changed ADAAG to ADA Standards
Appendices to the Consultant Procedures and Design Guidelines
The Appendices below are controlled from this site, unless noted. Consultants with UM design projects should check here for the most current version of the these documents. Most of the Appendices links are to files requiring an Adobe Reader to view. Word and ASCII (Text) files are so marked.
- UMC Information: These apply to Columbia Campus projects
- UMC Telecommunications (PDF 86 KB)
- UMC Card Access and Electronic Locking (PDF 822 KB)
- UMC Utility Rates for 2011 (PDF 114 KB)
- Appendix 16a: Lead-Containing Materials (PDF 10 KB)
- Appendix 16b: Fluorescent Lamp Disposal (PDF 8 KB)
- Appendix 18: Campus Dining Standards (PDF 13 KB)
- UMC Electronic Document Guidelines (PDF 289 KB)
- UM Standard Bidding Documents (only in PDF): Consultants should use these documents for printing bidding documents only after UM authorizes bidding. Do not include these in review sets
- General Conditions [September 2013] (PDF 317 KB)
- General Conditions [September 2009] (PDF 222 KB)
- Information for Bidders (PDF 39 KB)
- MBE WBE Evaluation Forms (PDF 45 KB)
- Bidder's Statement of Qualifications (PDF 8 KB)
- Asbestos Abatement Bidder's Statement of Qualifications (PDF 11 KB)
- Modifications to the General Conditions for the Contract of Construction for Design/Build Projects(PDF 31 KB)
- Example of Supplemental Special Conditions for Design/Build (Word 140 KB)
- Construction Contract format (PDF 11 KB)
- Construction Bond formats (for UM internal use only)
- Construction Contract Performance Bond (Word 23 KB)
- Construction Contract Labor and Material Payment Bond (Word 24 KB)
Reviewed April 14, 2015.