Surplus Property is a part of the Procurement Services Department that is responsible for the disposal, re-distribution, and/or sale of used equipment/property that the University of Missouri and other Mid-Missouri government agencies and educational institutions no longer use. The sale of this equipment is handled through public auctions, sales, or online. A Disposal Request through our software must be completed and approved before items can be picked up. Surplus Property receives no General Operating (G.O.) funds. All salaries, benefits, operational, marketing and sales costs are paid by the 35% retained from the sale of surplus equipment.
Who Can Purchase from Surplus - All University of Missouri property and equipment at the Surplus Property Warehouse is available to other University of Missouri departments at reasonable prices, and may be purchased up to the close of business on the Friday prior to public auctions or sales. Departments wishing to purchase items from the Surplus Property Warehouse or from a Surplus Property public auction /sale, should complete the University of Missouri Internal Order Form (UM48). Surplused property and equipment from other Mid-Missouri government agencies and educational institutions can only be purchased at public auctions /sales.
Disbursement of Funds - If an item has a value of $50 or more as determined by University of Missouri Procurement Services or the actual sale price, a portion of the funds may be returned to the campus department. In order for funds to be returned to the campus department a written request for the funds must be made at the time the item is declared surplus. The written request must include a PeopleSoft MoCode to be used for reimbursement purposes.
If a department requests a portion of any income from sale of an asset be returned to the department, the sale price will be reduced by any costs associated with selling the item. Costs may include, but not limited to on-line auction fees, advertising costs, auctioneer costs, and labor costs, including fees for items which did not sell.
For items with a value of $50 or more when reimbursement has been requested and a MoCode has been provided, University of Missouri Procurement Services will reimburse the originating campus department 65% of the sale price minus any fees.
Items with an individual value of $49.99 or less will not be tracked and proceeds will not be returned to the campus department.
The funds retained by Procurement Services are used to offset the operational costs of the program.
How to Surplus Cubicle Systems - Surplus Property has recently been successful in selling used Office Cubicles. In past years these items have been sent to Surplus and did not sell at our monthly auctions. Departments then have to bring them to the City Landfill or they go into our dumpster for an additional fee.
We have found that selling Cubicle Systems on GovDeals brings in Revenue to departments instead of having a cost incurred for disposal. The following steps have proven to be most successful in selling Office cubicles.
1. Do not take the Cubicles apart. Complete assembled Office Cubicles sell while comparable Cubicles that have been dismantled do not sell. Why? Potential Buyers of Cubicles want to see how they go together, that they are complete, and not overly stained or ripped.
2. Contact the Surplus Manger on your campus to schedule a time to photograph and take dimensions of Cubicle Systems. If you are in a rush they can usually take photos and post within 2 days. An on-line auction can be as short as 3 days, although 7 days give better exposure.
3. Pick a date and time to post for Buyers to dismantle and remove Office Cubicles. This saves departments labor costs and the Buyer is then sure they are receiving all components. A disclaimer is posted on the on-line listing stating:
"I (We) agree that by purchasing this equipment/furniture that I (we) assume the risk of dismantling the equipment/furniture and on behalf of myself, my assigns, executors, and heirs, agree to realease and hold harmless the Curators of the University of Missouri and their trustees, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability, damage, or claim of any nature whatsoever arising out of the dismantling and removal process."
4. The department must arrange with Construction services to unwire, if needed, any Cubicles that are hard-wired to the building. This must be finished before the buyer Pick-up date.
5. Surplus Property will collect money and bring the Buyer to your department for pick-up of Cubicles. Departments retain 75% of Cubicle sales online. Bidders are asked to bring tools and moving equipment to pickup Cubicles. Availability of loading Docks and Elevators, or lack thereof, is also posted on the on-line listing.
6. Single Partitions and miscellaneous components should be listed and sold with complete systems; Surplus may need to charge a disposal fee for the cost of our dumpster if they come to us. We'd rather the on-line buyer take any additional, incomplete pieces.
7. Metal overhead bins may, at no charge, come to Surplus and will be sold in our Scrap Metal bin.
- Training (Guides on How to Use Software)
- Disposal/Re-Use Surplus Software
UMC- Surplus Property Warehouse is located at 1507 Capen Park Road, Columbia, Missouri. (map) Hours of Operation are 7:30am - 4:30pm Monday-Friday. For questions pertaining to UMC Surplus, call 573-882-5053 or send an email.
UMKC - Surplus Property Warehouse is located at the back of the 4747 Troost building, on the corner of 48th & Forest, Kansas City, Missouri. (map) For questions pertaining to UMKC Surplus, contact Jonathan Young at 816-235-6996 or by email.
On-Line Bidding is now available. Be sure to sign up!
UMC -All UMC auctions are held on Wednesdays and start promptly at 10:00am at the Surplus Property Warehouse. Please call (573) 882-5053 to confirm the dates listed below.
December 17, 2014
January 21, 2015
February 18, 2015
March 18 2015
April 15, 2015
May 13, 2015
June 17, 2015
July 15, 2015
August 19, 2015
September 16, 2015
October 21, 2015
November 18, 2015
December 16, 2015
*Note: Dates are subject to change
UMKC - All UMKC auctions/sales are held at the Surplus Warehouse, 1122 E 48th Street (back of 4747 Troost Bldg). For more information, contact Warehouse Manager, Jonathan Young at (816) 235-6996.
Missouri S&T - Missouri S&T does not have any aucitons/sales at this time.
UMSL - UMSL public sales of surplus property are held approximately every 2 weeks. For more information, contact George Brooks at (314) 516-5379.
UM Form27: Property Inventory and Change Report - (This form will be going away. Please use surplus disposal software.)
UM Form48: Internal Order Form
UM Form31: Electronic Storage Devices Residual Data Disposal Certificate Instructions - (This will be going away. Please use surplus disposal software.)
The UM Form31: Electronic Storage Devices Residual Data Disposal Certificate has been created for departments to use to show the method of data disposal prior to sending Storage Devices to Surplus. Departments may attach this form to the Form27 when requesting pick-up or sending assets to Surplus.
The signature and corresponding printed name should be of the person at the department who is verifying that Data has been disposed.
The DeptID, PS Account Number & MoCode only need to be provided when Surplus Property is selling a department's assets.
Item Description can be as general or detailed as the department would like and serial number should be for the largest component, either the computer, cell phone, etc. itself or the hard drive if that is being sent to surplus or shredded separately.
Under the "Wiped" column the department may want to note the method, Degauss, DOD, etc and under "Destroyer" mark Shred, Drill, etc.
The Initials column should be used by the department to mark who performed the Data Disposal. if Data is ever found to remain on a Storage Device the department can then retrain the employee in Data destruction and its importance to the University.
Finance Support Center
- Finance Support email
- Hospital and Clinics: 884-1234
- Missouri S&T Campus: 341-4266 or 877-752-1117 (after hrs)
- UMKC Campus: 235-1371
- UMSL Campus: 516-5366
- UMSYS, UOEXT, MU Campus: 882-3201
- Toll Free All Campuses: 877-752-3334
- Finance Support Center may be unavailable Mondays from 2:30-3:30pm for staff meeting.