Beginning of session…
The Missouri General Assembly started off session on Wednesday, January 4, 2023. New members of both chambers were sworn in, and leadership and committee assignments in both chambers have been solidified. The legislature has been off to a speedy start with more than 1,200 bills filed already in both the Missouri House and Senate.
The House and Senate have adjourned until 4:00 p.m., Tuesday, January 17, 2023.
- President Pro Tem, Senator Caleb Rowden
- Majority Floor Leader, Senator Cindy O’Laughlin
- Assistant Majority Floor Leader, Senator Jason Bean
- Minority Floor Leader, Senator John Rizzo
- Assistant Minority Floor Leader, Senator Doug Beck
- Speaker of the House, Dean Plocher
- Speaker Pro Tem, Mike Henderson
- Majority Floor Leader, Jonathan Patterson
- Assistant Majority Floor Leader, Jamie Burger
- Majority Whip, Hardy Billington
- Minority Floor Leader, Crystal Quade
- Assistant Minority Floor Leader, Richard Brown
- Minority Whip, Ashley Aune
2022 Committee Chairs:
House Higher Education Committee
Representative Brenda Shields (R) - Chair
Representative Cheri Toalson Reisch (R)
House Budget Committee
Representative Cody Smith (R) - Chair
Representative Dirk Deaton (R) - Vice Chair
House Subcommittee on Appropriations - Education
Representative Ed Lewis (R)- Chair
Representative Brenda Shields (R) - Vice Chair
Senate Appropriations Committee
Senator Lincoln Hough (R) – Chair
Senator Tony Luetkemeyer (R) – Vice Chair
Senate Education Committee
Senator Andrew Koenig (R) – Chair
Senator Rick Brattin (R) – Vice Chair
January 4, 2023: First day of session
January 16, 2023: Martin Luther King Jr. Day-Observed
January 18, 2023: Governor Parson’s State of the State Address
February 20, 2023: President’s Day
March 13-17, 2023: Spring Break
April 10, 2023: No Session, Easter Break
May 12, 2023: Last day of session
September 13, 2023: Veto session
Parental Bill of Rights
The Senate Education and Workforce Development committee will hold a hearing on Wednesday, January 18, 2023, to discuss several bills regarding increased parental involvement regarding their children in Missouri schools. Please see below a list of bills that will be discussed at the hearing.
- Senator Andrew Koenig’s bill (SB4), which modifies provisions regarding transparency in public schools and creates the Parents' Bill of Rights Act of 2023.
- Senator Justin Brown’s bill (SB89), which creates the Missouri Education Transparency and Accountability Portal and the Parents' Bill of Rights Act of 2023.
State Government Updates
State of the State Address
Governor Parson is expected to give his State of the State Address on January 18, 2023. He is expected to roll out his proposed budget and his administration’s priorities for the coming year.
2023 Legislative Session Priorities
Among several key priorities, expected to be rolled out during Governor Parson’s State of the State Address, one of his top priorities is pay raises for state employees.