About this Policy
Policy Number: 12003
Division of IT
Vice President for Information Technology
Vice President of Information Technology
Columbia MO, 65211
- General Administration
- Reason for Policy
- Policy Statement
- Related Information
Applies to the Vice President Information Technology, Campus CIOs & ISOs.
Outlines the responsibility of the Vice President Information Technology, Campus CIOs & ISOs to enforce the University’s IT Security Policies.
The University will develop, implement and maintain a comprehensive, system-wide, information security program with appropriate methods and safeguards as required by industry standards, federal and state laws and regulations. Consistent with the University's Collected Rules and Regulations (CRR), the Vice President for Information Technology (VP for IT) will be primarily responsible for the development, implementation and enforcement of this program. The program will apply to all units within the University and to any and all users of University IT resources, regardless of their relationship to the University. Each University entity must comply with the IT security policies and programs or, when necessary, develop specific security policies, programs and processes that are consistent with the system-wide program and are approved by the VP for IT.
The information security program, under the guidance of the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) will establish policies and processes governing how individuals manage and use the University's IT systems. The program will be applicable to all of the University's IT systems including, but not limited to, applications, databases, networks, computer systems/servers, computing facilities and all computing devices owned by the University or that hold University data. The program may also apply to personally owned devices if such devices are utilized for University purposes.
Vice President for Information Technology:
- Primarily responsible for implementing information security policies and programs.
- Will designate a Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) for the University System.
- Will appoint or select members to serve on a System-wide Information Security Advisory Committee (SISAC).
System-wide Information Security Advisory Committee (SISAC):
- Will consist of the VP for Information Technology, the campus/organization CIOs, the CISO, and other representatives from throughout the University as deemed appropriate.
- Responsible for defining goals, setting priorities and reviewing policy and program components prior to implementation.
Chief Information Officers (or CIO equivalent) at each campus/organization:
- Responsible for implementing and enforcing IT security policies at their campus or organization.
- Will either serve as, or designate, an Information Security Officer (ISO) for their campus/organization.
Chief Information Security Officer (CISO):
- Will ensure consistency and adequacy of information security programs at both the system and campus/organization levels.
- Will provide guidance related to policy and program priorities for consideration by the SISAC.
University of Missouri Workplace Information Security Manual: https://sharepoint.umsystem.edu/sites/uminfopoint/media/fa/glb/wism-form.pdf (please right click on the file and download it to your device for viewing)
University Collected Rules & Regulations 110.005: https://umsystem.edu/ums/rules/collected_rules/facilities/ch110/110.005_acceptable_use_policy
Formerly Business Policy Manual 1203 – Information Security (4/16/2008)