Recognizing Outstanding Student Leaders of the Year
The Remington R. Williams Awards are given in memory of Mr. Williams and his outstanding service as Student Representative to the University of Missouri Board of Curators (2020-2022), a role in which he served as a champion for undergraduate and graduate students. Each recipient will receive a leadership medal to wear at graduation, an invitation to attend a Board of Curators meeting at their institution to be recognized and a $1,000 award.
To learn more about Remington and the inspiration for the award, click here.
Submit completed nomination form here or see full details below.
These awards, which are the highest non-academic award bestowed on students by the University of Missouri Board of Curators, are reserved for exceptional student leaders who have:
- Made a positive impact on the institution by celebrating and championing the highest ideals and mission of the university
- Inspired the growth and development of fellow students
- Advocated for the college experience, both academic and extracurricular
- Exhibited outstanding character and collaborative spirit at all times
Nominated students must also meet the following minimum criteria for consideration:
- Student must be involved in at least two student organizations and have held a major leadership position in at least one of those groups
- Student must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Student must be a full-time undergraduate (sophomore or junior standing), graduate, or professional student at the time of nomination, with plans to be enrolled the following academic year
The guidelines for submitting a nomination and the process for reviewing nominations is outlined below.
- Submissions: Any student, faculty, or staff member may nominate a qualified individual for a Williams Award. Nominations should be completed using the provided nomination form and submitted here.
- University Review Committee: All qualified nominations should be submitted to the University Williams Award Committee. This committee should consist of the institution’s Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs (or equivalent), Dean of the Graduate School (if applicable), Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies (or equivalent), and one representative appointed each from the Faculty Council/Senate and the Student Government Association. Each university may develop a process for pre-screening applications. The University Review Committee shall provide a letter of recommendation for each nomination sent forward.
- Chancellor Review: The University Williams Award Committee is charged with reviewing all nominations in a thorough, timely manner and making recommendations to the Chancellor. The Chancellor’s Office will coordinate a review by the institution’s Office of Institutional Equity & Title IX. Then, the Chancellor will review the committee’s recommendations and make a final determination regarding which nominations will move forward. The Chancellor shall provide a letter of recommendation for each nomination sent forward.
- UM System Committee: The Chancellor’s recommendations will be forwarded to the UM System Office of Academic Affairs, which will review the nomination materials for quality and completeness and forward them to the Office of General Counsel to perform a background check. The nominations will then be provided to the UM System Williams Award Committee. This committee will be comprised of a minimum of 3 members of the Board of Curators, to be appointed by the Chair on an annual basis each fall.
- Selection: The UM System Williams Award Committee is charged with selecting six students to receive the award. One student will be selected from each of the University of Missouri – Kansas City (UMKC), the Missouri University of Science and Technology (S&T), and the University of Missouri – St. Louis (UMSL). Three students will be selected from the University of Missouri – Columbia (MU).
The following timeline will be used on an annual basis to determine the recipients of the Williams Outstanding Student Leader of the Year Awards.
|1st Weekday of December||Call for Nominations|
|1st Friday of February||Nominations due to University Committees|
|1st Weekday of March||Committee recommendations due to Chancellor’s Office|
|2nd Friday of March||Chancellor recommendations due to System Committee|
|Late March/Early April||System Committee reviews recommendations and submit to Board|
|April Board Meeting||Board of Curators reviews, approves, and notifies recipients|
|September Board Meeting||UMKC recipient recognized during Board Chair’s Report|
|November Board Meeting||UMSL recipient recognized during Board Chair’s Report|
|February Board Meeting||MU recipient recognized during Board Chair’s Report|
|April Board Meeting||S&T recipient recognized during Board Chair’s Report|