Register now for
Registration is now closed.
Join faculty and staff colleagues in this online course to learn about and engage together on diversity, inclusive excellence, action planning and more.
Diversity 101 is a free, highly interactive, fully online professional development course that explores the concepts of diversity and inclusion particularly as they pertain to the higher education workplace. It is open to faculty and staff from any of the UM System campuses. The course was designed to engage mixed groups of faculty and staff from across departments and units in a learning process that will enhance our capacity to build a culture where everyone feels they are welcome, they belong and they can thrive.
The success of Diversity 101 depends on participants' willingness and ability to actively engage in online discussions. Full participation in the course usually requires several hours spread throughout the week, including:
- 30-45 minutes to review the weekly content and activities and to formulate a discussion post by each Wednesday night
- Additional time (estimated 30-60 minutes) from Wednesday through Sunday to read and respond to others' posts
- 10-15 minutes to write a brief journal entry at the end of each week
Optional readings and resources are provided beyond these basic requirements. Note: Diversity 201 and 301 are under development.
Dates and Registration
Check back for upcoming event dates.
About Diversity 101 at the UM System
Open to faculty and staff on all UM System campuses
Length of Course
Time required (approximate)
- Week One – 1-2 hours
- Week Two – 2-3 hours
- Week Three – 2-3 hours
- Week Four – 3-4 hours
- Week Five – 2-3 hours
- Week Six – 1-2 hours
- Discussion board posts are due anytime between Monday – Wednesday night each week
- Weekly reflection
- Building a Learning Community for Personal & Organizational Growth
- Introduction to Diversity
- Inclusive Excellence
- Diversity on Campus
- Obstacles to Inclusion
- Building a Culture of Inclusion
- Action Planning and Moving Forward