Responsibilities of Office
The Office of the President provides leadership, vision and direction for the UM System, a land-grant research institution composed of four diverse universities located in Columbia, Kansas City, Rolla and St. Louis, as well as a health care system and a statewide extension mission. The UM System is charged to:
- Create a positive learning environment that enables students to achieve their full academic potential.
- Achieve a nationally competitive position in research, scholarship and academic programs in selected areas consistent with each campus mission.
- Set new standards of quality for community-university engagement that will constitute a national model of service and outreach to the state, the nation and the world.
- Develop an eminent faculty and highly talented staff who are engaged, productive, diverse, and committed to achieving the university’s vision.
- Develop and maintain effective and efficient academic and administrative processes that support the university’s vision and create value for constituents.
- Establish and maintain the financial and physical resource base required to support the university’s vision and sustain organizational improvement.
General Delegation of Power by the Board
The University of Missouri Board of Curators has given general delegation of authority to the president to act for and on behalf of the UM Board of Curators and the Curators of the University of Missouri subject only to the bylaws, board rules and regulations or specific instructions of the board.
The president serves as the chief executive and academic officer of the university. In this regard he exercises control and supervision of all faculty and other university employees.
The president is in charge of all academic, public, business, financial and related affairs of the university under the policies and general supervision of the board.
The president of the university is authorized to make and establish changes in the business procedures of the university in the future, consistent with the general policies established by the board.
The president also chairs the nine-member University of Missouri Health Care Advisory Board, which is part of the consolidated health sciences center formed in August 2008.
This advisory board reviews hospital operations and makes recommendations to the president, the vice chancellor for health sciences, the CEO of the University of Missouri Health System and other university officials regarding federal and state regulatory issues, major health care policies, strategic plans, operating and capital budgets and joint ventures. The advisory board is composed of individuals who possess broad expertise and experience in financial, health-related and other fields. The vice chancellor of health sciences and the CEO of UMHC serve as ex officio members.
The consolidated health sciences center is composed of University of Missouri Health Care, the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine and University Physicians, and the Sinclair School of Nursing and School of Health Professions at MU.