About this Policy
Policy Number: 26202
Dec 12, 2017
UM System Supply Chain
Vice President of Finance
UM System Supply Chain
- Reason for Policy
- Policy Statement
- Related Information
This policy provides guidance for utilization of suppliers who qualify for preferential consideration when acquiring goods or services.
To ensure there is diversity with the pool of suppliers and sourcing activities of the University’s procurement function. This includes minority business enterprises, women business enterprises, veteran owned businesses (including service-disabled veterans), and disadvantaged business enterprises (DBE).
Preference shall be given to Missouri products, materials, services and firms when the goods or services to be provided are equally or better suited for the intended purpose and can be obtained without additional cost. Firms are considered "Missouri firms" if they maintain a regular place of business in the State of Missouri.
Small business concerns and small businesses owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals shall have the maximum practicable opportunity to participate in performing contracts and purchase orders let by the University.
The University shall award all contracts and purchase orders on a fair and equitable basis, in accordance with its policy to not discriminate against any business enterprise, including any owned or operated by women, minority group members, veterans, or socially or economically disadvantaged individuals.
Efforts will be made to inform departmental buyers about the availability of diverse suppliers for purchases that do not require bids, and to inform diverse suppliers about bid requests to which they may be able to respond.
The University will assist diverse suppliers in learning how to do business with the University as follows:
- Information on purchasing procedures will be provided in special publications designed to assist in learning how to do business with the University.
- The University will compile, maintain and/or make available source lists and directories for the purpose of increasing procurement from minority and women owned businesses.
- Diverse suppliers will be solicited for bid events on which such businesses may be able to respond.
- Goals will be established for expanding the business done with diverse businesses. A quarterly review will be made to evaluate the performance of the purchasing units regarding goals and to aid in restating the goals of each.
When a procurement involves the expenditure of federal funds, the University shall comply with such federal law and authorized regulations which are mandatorily applicable.
Service-Disabled Veteran (SDV) - any individual who is disabled as certified by the appropriate federal agency responsible for the administration of veteran’s affairs.
Service-Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (SDVE) - a business concern:
- Not less than fifty-one percent (51%) of which is owned by one or more SDVs or, in the case of any publicly owned business, not less than fifty-one percent (51%) of the stock which is owned by one or more SDVs.
- The management and daily business operations of which are controlled by one or more SDVs.
Women or Minority Owned Business Enterprise (W/MBE) - a business concern:
- Not less than fifty-one percent (51%) of which is owned by one or more woman or racial/ethnic minority individuals, or, in the case of any publicly owned business, not less than fifty-one percent (51%) of the stock which is owned by one or more women or racial/ethnic minority individuals.
- The management and daily business operations of which are controlled by one or more women or racial/ethnic minority individuals.
UM System Supplier Diversity and Small Business Development:
- Identify minority and women-owned business enterprises that are qualified to compete for business opportunities with the University
- Educate suppliers
- Create and monitor goals for increasing supplier diversity
UM System Supply Chain:
- Provide information to suppliers on the procurement function of the University
- Solicit minority suppliers on procurement opportunities
Additional Contact: Director, Small Business and Supplier Diversity Development
This policies combines the following former policies:
- Business Policy Manual 304 – Preferential Consideration (revised 5/26/1999)
- Purchasing Policy Manual 503 – Preferential Considerations