Chapter 460: UMKC Dental Faculty Practice Plan
Bd. Min. 2-11-83; Revised Bd. Min 4-9-15.
- Administrator - The word “administrator” shall refer to the administrative manager (or the then current title that individual has been assigned) of the overall DFP clinic who performs administrative, financial, customer service, and management duties in the DFP. He reports to the Director.
- Chancellor - The word “Chancellor” shall refer to the Chancellor of the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
- Curators - The word “Curators” shall refer to the Board of Curators of the University of Missouri.
- Dean - The word “Dean” shall refer to the Dean of the School of Dentistry, University of Missouri-Kansas City.
- Dean’s Administration Allocation - The words “Dean’s Administration Allocation” shall refer to a percentage of gross collections to cover certain overhead costs incurred by the UMKC SOD in the operation of the Dental Faculty Practice. The overhead costs include, but are not limited to, administrative support, facilities maintenance, facility usage charge, general liability insurance and other necessary indirect costs. The allocation percentage shall be determined by the Dean.
- Dental Clinic -The words “dental clinic” as used herein shall refer to the Dental Faculty Practice Clinic at the School of Dentistry, University of Missouri-Kansas City.
- Dental Faculty Practice (DFP) - The words “dental faculty practice or DFP” shall refer to the actual dental clinic within the SOD in which the Participants practice and participate in the Plan.
- Dental Faculty Practice Plan (or “Plan”) - The words “dental faculty practice plan,” or simply the “plan” shall refer to the rules and regulations approved by the Board of Curators which will govern and regulate the DFP and its practices. This Plan will operate in accordance with all governing rules, regulations and policies of the University of Missouri, including Equal Opportunity.
- Dental Hygienists (RDH) - The words “dental hygienists” shall refer to registered dental hygienists working in the DFP and seeing patients of the Participants. They report administratively to the Administrator and clinically to the Participant doctors with whom they work.
- Director - The word “director” refers to the Director of the Dental Faculty Practice as defined in section 460.080. He reports to the Dean.
- Director of Business Affairs - The words “Director of Business Affairs” shall refer to the SOD’s Business Officer who monitors and advises the DFP.
- Gender - Where the masculine pronoun is used it shall be interpreted as feminine when applicable.
- Income Sharing - The words “income sharing” shall be that amount distributed monthly to each doctor Participant in accordance with the formula for determining each doctor’s proportional share of the net profit.
- Miscellaneous Expense Account - The words “miscellaneous expense account” shall refer to the account maintained by the administrator for managing expenses that are generally considered overhead in the operation of a dental practice or for necessary teaching expenses incurred by an individual participant and approved by the director. All expenditures will be administered in accordance with University and SOD policies. These expenses would include but are not limited to items such as: personal continuing education costs, association dues, dental licenses, loupes, and similar items.
- Operations and Procedures Manual - The words “operations and procedures manual” shall refer to the collection of guidelines, systems, and policies that are contained in the manual outlining the day-to-day workings of the DFP. These various protocols are created with collaboration of faculty, staff, and administrators to maximize the effective and efficient running of the dental clinic and to fulfill its mission and vision.
- Participant - The word “participant” as used in these regulations shall refer to a member of the faculty of the School of Dentistry who is a member of the plan.
- Participation Agreement - The words “participation agreement” shall refer to the document that is signed annually by all doctor participants outlining their understanding and agreement to abide by the rules and regulations of the DFP and the Plan, and assigning all income from services rendered under the DFP to the University.
- Participant Body - The words “participant body” shall refer to the total collective participants in the plan.
- Plan Income - The words “plan income” shall be construed to mean all fees for services received by the University by assignment which are derived from patient care directly delivered by faculty within facilities operated by the Dental Faculty Practice.
- Plan Overhead - The words “plan overhead” shall refer to all the costs of operating the plan which may include laboratory fees, billing and collection costs, support personnel compensation & benefits, supplies, marketing, administrative services, reserve fund contributions, debt/deficit reduction, UMKC full costing charges, the Dean’s Administrative Allocation, and other expenses.
- School of Dentistry (SOD) - The words “School of Dentistry” shall refer to the School of Dentistry, University of Missouri-Kansas City.
- Staff - The word “Staff” refers to the non-faculty personnel who carry out the administrative, clerical and clinical duties for the clinic. They report to the supervisors.
- Supervisors - The word “Supervisor” shall refer to individuals who manage either the administrative or clinical staff of the DFP. They report to the Administrator.
- UMKC Full Costing - The words “UMKC full costing” shall refer to the charge levied by the University that is allocated proportionally among non-educational entities on campus for central administrative service costs provided by the university. These would include, but are not limited to, the following: campus accounting services, banking functions, credit card services, central payroll office and HR, financial systems, and administrative software.
- University - The word “University” shall refer to The Curators of the University of Missouri.
Next Rule: 460.020 Purposes of the Plan