About this Policy
Report All Accidents & Incidents
Policy Number: 13201
Risk & Insurance Management
AVP Management Services & Director of Risk & Insurance Management
Risk & Insurance Management
- General Administration
- Reason for Policy
- Policy Statement
- Related Information
Operational policy to notify any University employee of their responsibility regarding Losses. This policy applies to any University employee needing to file an insurance claim outside of HR benefits.
To direct employees to report accidents and/or incidents.
All accidents and/or incidents which result in or could result in injury to or death of persons; damage to, destruction, theft or disappearance of University property (including money and securities) or property of others; and wrongful acts arising out of an individual's employment with the University, its operations or premises are to be reported in order to:
- Determine causes and corrective measures taken to improve life safety and to preserve University assets.
- Enable the University to submit notice of claim, or to respond to payment of claims and/or court judgments on behalf of the University and its employees.
Employees must not make any statement regarding a Loss to the press or anyone other than members of or as directed by:
- Campus Business Services Office
- Campus Police Department
- Office of Risk & Insurance Management
- Office of General Counsel
Loss(es) - the basis of a claim for damages under the terms of an insurance policy.
Risk & Insurance Management administers claims for the University related to insurance programs outside of HR benefits. Employees should report a Loss to the appropriate campus contact within 24 hours.
This policy combines the following former policies BPM 700 - Reporting Accidents & Incidents:
- Business Policy Manual 701 – General Policy (revised July 1, 2009)
- Business Policy Manual 702 – Loss of Money, Securities & Property (revised July 1, 2009)
- Business Policy Manual 703 – Damage to University Property (Including Fire) (revised July 1, 2009)
- Business Policy Manual 704 – Employee Injuries & Occupational Diseases (revised July 1, 2009)
- Business Policy Manual 705 – Accidents – University Vehicles (revised April 11, 2013)
- Business Policy Manual 706 – Accidents – Rented Vehicles (revised April 11, 2013 )
- Business Policy Manual 707 – Students & General Public (Except Vehicle Accidents) (revised July 1, 2009)
- Business Policy Manual 708 – Incidents – Medical Patients (Therapeutic & Diagnostic) (revised July 1, 2009)
- Business Policy Manual 709 – Incidents – Medical Patients (Not Therapeutic & Diagnostic) (revised July 1, 2009)
- Business Policy Manual 710 – Wrongful Act Incidents (revised July 1, 2009)
- Business Policy Manual 711 – Broadcasters’ & Publishers’ Incidents (revised July 1, 2009)