Consultant Procedures and Design Guidelines
University of Missouri's Consultant Procedures and Design Guidelines Manual is intended to assist architects, engineers, design professionals, and Design/Build contractors (A/E) in understanding the University's policies, the minimum design and submittal criteria, and the basic minimum requirements for material and products to be included in all University projects.
- The University of Missouri Consultant Procedures and Design Guidelines are controlled from this site, unless noted.
- The appropriate edition of the Consultant Procedures and Design Guidelines for Consultants with active UM design projects is referenced in the agreement between the University and the Consultant.
- Consultants are responsible for downloading the standards from this site.
The manual has the following sections:
Section 1 - Orientation
Section 1, Orientation, describes the general business relationship between the consultant and University.
Section 2 - Planning and Contract Development Guidelines
Section 2, Planning and Contract Development Guidelines, list University Codes, standards, design review submittal requirements, drawing, and project manual requirements.
- Section2.1, Planning and Contract Document Development Guidelines for Design-Bid-Build Delivery Method
- Section 2.2, Planning and Contract Document Development Guidelines for Design Build Delivery Method
- Section 2.3, Planning and Contract Document Development Guidelines for Construction Manager at Risk Delivery Method
- Section 2.4, Planning and Contract Document Development Guidelines for Master Construction Delivery Method
Section 3 - Design Guidelines
Click on a Division title to expand the selection and uncover additional information.
Section 3, Design Guidelines, provides minimum design requirements to be included in all Unversity Projects. Section 3 applies to all delivery methods.
- 220100-Plumbing System
- 220500-Common Plumbing Work
- 220719-Plumbing Piping Insulation
- 221000-Plumbing Piping & Specialties
- 221500-Compressed Air Systems
- 221600-Plumbing Vacuum Systems
- 223000-Plumbing Equipment
- 224000-Plumbing Fixtures
- 226000-Medical Air, Gas and Vacuum
- 230000-Heating, Ventilating, and Air-Conditioning (HVAC)
- 230001-Mechanical Room Planning & Equipment Access
- 230002-Bio-containment Labs General
- 230003-General Chemistry Laboratories
- 230594-Contractor Provided TAB for MU
- 230593-Contractor Scope for Owner Supplied TAB
- 230713-HVAC Duct Insulation
- 230719-HVAC Piping Insulation
- 230900 System Control Systems
- 232100-Building Hydronic Piping and Pump Systems
- 232200-Steam and Condensate Piping and Pump System
- 233000-HVAC Air Distribution
- 233600-Air Terminal Units
- 233700-Air Outlets and Inlets
- 233816-Fume Hoods
- 235716-Steam to Water Heat Exchangers (MU Res Life Domestic)
- 236200-Packaged Refrigerant Cooling Systems
- 236513-Cooling Towers
- 237000-Central Air Handling Units
- 237200-Air to Air Energy Recovery Units
- All Schedules
- AHU Chilled Water Coil-Single
- AHU Hot Water Preheat Coil Piping Drawing
- AHU Hot Water Reheat Coil Piping Drawing
- 260500-Common Work Results for Electrical
- 260519-Low Voltage Electrical Power Conductors and Cables
- 260519-LV Electical Power-MC Diagram
- 260526-Grounding and Bonding for Electrical Systems
- 260533-Raceway and Boxes for Electrical Systems
- 260553-Identification for Electrical Systems
- 260573-Low Voltage Electrical System Studies
- 262116-Low Voltage Service Entrance
- 262200-Low Voltage Transformers
- 262300-Low Voltage Switchgear
- 262413 - Switchboards
- 262416 - Panelboards
- 262413 - Motor Control Centers
- 262726-Wiring Devices
- 262800-Low Voltage Circuit Protective Devices
- 262923-Variable Frequency Motor Controllers (Word Format)
- 262923-Variable Frequency Motor Controllers (Adobe Format)
- 263000-Facility Electrical Power Generating and Storing Equipment
- 263200-Packaged Generator Assemblies
- 263623-Automatic Transfer Switches
- 264100-Facility Lightning Protection
- 265100-Interior Lighting
- 283100-Fire Detection and Alarm
- 281300-Access Controls System Design Guidelines (S&T only)
- 281300-Card Access Door Operator Drawing (MU only)
- 281300-Card Access Door Drawing (MU only)
- 281300-Card Access Reader Bus Diagram (MU only)
- 281300-Electronic Lock Door Operator Drawing (MU only)
- 281300-Electronic Lock Door Drawing (MU only)
- 331000-Water Utilities
- 331015-Water Utility Distribution General
- 331113-Water Distribution Piping
- 331113-Detail Steam Tunnel Crossing
- 331113-Detail-Thrust Block
- 331113-Detail-Thrust Collar
- 331113-Detail-Trench at Paving
- 331113-Detail-Trench in Grass and Plantings
- 331113-Detail-Vertical Offset
- 331113-Detail-Water Distribution Wall Penetration
- 331114-Potable Water Horizontal Directional Drilling
- 331216-Water Utilities Distribution Valves
- 331219-Water Utilities Distribution Fire Hydrants
- 331233-Water Utilities Metering
- 331300-Disinfection of Water Utility Distribution
- 333000-Sanitary Sewerage Utilities
- 333100-Sanitary Sewer Systems
- 334000-Storm Drainage Utilities
- 334000-Storm Drainage System
- 336000-Hydronic and Steam Energy Utilities
- 336113-Hydronic Energy Distribution
- 336113-Branch Connection
- 336113-Butterfly Valve
- 336113-CW Conduit Wall Penetration Detail
- 336113-CW Junction Box
- 336113-CW Junction Box Precision Precast TB - 1627 Traffic Box
- 336113-CW Pipe Wall Penetration Detail
- 336113-CW Pipe Wall Penetration
- 336113-CW Vent Box
- 336113-Steam Tunnel Crossing
- 336113-Trench at Ashphalt Paving Drawing
- 336113-Trench at Street Drawing
- 336113-Trench in Grass Drawing
- 336113-Vertical Offset Drawing
- 336115-Hydronic Energy Distribution-Electrical Components
- 336117-Hydronic Energy Distribution-Chilled Water Valves
- 336311-Steam Energy Distribution General Requirements FMT
- 336313-Steam Energy Distribution Piping
- 336315-Steam Energy Distribution Piping Specialities
- 336317-Steam Energy Distribution Manual Valves
- 336319-Pipe Supports
- 336321-Steam Energy Distribution Thermal Insulation
- 336333-Steam Energy Distribution Metering
- 336340-Steam Manholes and Structures
- 336341-Steam Manholes and Structures Accessories
- 336344-Steam and Condensate Chase
- 336345-Precast Concrete Utility Structures-Lids
- 336347-Steam Concrete Walk Tunnels
- 336350-Cast in Place Concrete for Utilities
- 336351-Concrete Requirements-Concrete Formwork
- 336352-Concrete Requirements-Concrete Reinforcement
- 336354-General Concrete Requirements-Waterproofing
- 337000-Electrical Utilties
- 337000-Electrical Utilities
- 337119-Electrical Underground Ducts
- 337149-Medium Voltage Wiring
- 337173.33-Electric Meters
- 337313-Liquid-Filled Utility Transformers
- 337700-Medium Voltage Utility Switchgear
- 338000-MU Telecome Service Construction
Summary of Recent Changes to the Consultant Procedures and Design Guidelines
2021 Q3 Changes - Added document "Allowable Delegated Design Items" in Section 3.
- Section 3
- 210100 Fire Protection System Design - Fire Pumps – Modified note 7.6 to add electrical conduit. Added Note 7.13 “The jockey pump shall be on an independent circuit so that when the fire pump is turned off, the jockey pump will remain in service.”
- 230900 JCI Control Systems (MU): 1.01 D – Two options for installation of controls are possible. Choose the appropriate paragraph D per the University PM for each project; 2.01 Materials and Equipment C.2 a) – Option for high performance energy monitoring valve and c) updated manufacturer preference or approved equal; Q.1 – updated model number and description of differential pressure transmitter; R.12 – updated outdoor air sensor pickup port.
- 230900 Honeywell Control Systems (UMKC) NEW
- 260500 Common Work Results for Electrical. Service Entrance Note 12.3: Updated MNEC article 240.87 to match most recent adopted code.
Preference remains the same.
Added note 13: Reference design guidelines section 210100 for design of the fire and jockey pump.
- 262116 Low Voltage Service Entrance - Design Guideline Notes 1, 2, 6, 7 and 12 were updated.
- 262116 Low Voltage Service Entrance Detail E1 and E2 to replace the low voltage service entrance options on 6 detail drawings.
- 262400 Switchboards, Panelboards and Motor Control Centers. Clarified switchboard and panelboard type descriptions on Design Guidelines #1.1 and #2.1.
- 262726 Wiring Devices Added note 7 and 8 to clarify the Universities position on automatic receptacle control.
- 262800 Low Voltage Circuit Protective Devices See notes 3.6 – 3.8 for added guidelines on circuit breakers.
- 262923 Variable Frequency Motor Controllers (Mike Benson) Updated acceptable model number for Toshiba drives in Part 2.01 Manufacturers.
- 283100 Fire Detection and Alarm Edited various notes:
4.1.1 -Clarified the location of the remote annunciator and coordination with the University PM and local fire department.
4.1.8 -Additional language regarding the notification of the owner’s representative and others when a fire alarm outage is necessary.
5.4. -Clarify when Class A wiring systems may be required on the addressable loop on campus projects.
18.104.22.168 -Edited to define preference for duct smoke detector sequence with current codes.
22.214.171.124 -Edited 3rd sentence regarding door hold opens.
126.96.36.199 -Added sentence regarding fire equipment on dedicated circuits.
7.4.5 -Added sentence regarding master fire panel access codes. (MU campus)
7.11.5 -Added the requirement for an accessible test button for required smoke duct detectors.
7.11.9 -Referenced NFPA 71 Chapter 14 for reacceptance testing requirements. Recent code versions may require more less than 10 percent testing when making changes to an existing fire alarm system.
7.12 -Added sentence regarding the installation of “network” cable between fire alarm control units.
7.17 -Updated the requirements for a digital cellular fire alarm dialer if included in the construction contract to meet current technology. Includes 7.17.1 – 7.17.14
- 336333 Detail-ABB Swirl Meter Wiring Diagram.dwg Detail was updated to reflect current practice in wiring requirements by the contractor versus provided by MU. MU will now provide the cat 6 cable.
- 331233 Detail-Water Meter Wiring Diagram.pdf NEW This is a new detail to describe requirements for wiring installation of a Mag meter used for potable water metering.
- Section 3
- Division 22 Plumbing
- 220100 Plumbing System Design
•Corrected a few product references on the special piping.
•Added requirement for deep seal traps at all floor drains.
•Require no-hub couplings to be heavy duty shielded type.
- 2244000 Plumbing Fixtures - Updated guidelines on urinals to 0.5 gpf, siphon-jet type.
- 220100 Plumbing System Design
- Division 23 HVAC
- 230713 HVAC Duct Insulation - Updated insulation table to correspond with ASHRAE 90.1 requirements.
- 230719 HVAC Piping Insulation - Updated insulation table to correspond with ASHRAE 90.1 requirements.
- 230900 JCI Controls Systems - Updated several sections of the specifications (as noted in margins) including pressure independent control valves on hydronic chilled and heating water systems.
- 232100 Building Hydronic Piping and Pump Systems.
•Add PICV and dielectric water way preference. Numerous other modifications referenced in left margin. Added reference to CAD details.
•Updated detail for AHU Heating Hot Water Preheat Coil Piping and provided .dwg file.
- 232100 Di-electric Waterway Installation Detail.dwg (NEW).
- Division 26 Electrical
- 260500 Common Wok Results for Electrical - Added paragraph 1 & 2, and condensed paragraph 14 (which was 12.1 – 12.6)
- 260573 Low Voltage Electrical Systems Studies - Modified Paragraph 5.4 & 5.5 and added 5.6.
- 262116 Electrical Service Entrance - The majority of this section has been rewritten.
- 262400 Switchboards and Panelboards - Note green indicator in left margin at items 1.1-1.3, 1.15, 1.17, 1.18, 2.12 & 2.13.
- 262800 Low Voltage Protective Devices - Numerous edits.
- 262923 Variable Frequency Motor Controllers - Corrected item 3.01E regarding location of service disconnect switch.
- 265100 Interior Lighting - Reduce CCT to 3500K for due to LED lighting advances. Specify exit lights with integral battery and self-diagnostics.
- Division 33 Utilities
- 331219 Water Utilities Distribution Fire Hydrants - Minor change on color of bonnet from red to blue for the city fire hydrants maintained by MU. Also, added reference to Detail – Fire Hydrant.dwg.
- 336345 Precast Concrete Utility Structures – Lids - Added requirement for lids to be shimmed prior to waterproofing to prevent lid rocking during backfill.
- 336354 General Concrete Requirements-Waterproofing - Added requirements for inspections and approvals in Paragraph 12.2. Also referenced CAD details.
- The sections listed below have been updated and the modifications are noted in the left indent in green:
- 331113 Detail-Thrust Collar - Updated drawing
- 336354 Detail-Manhole Waterproofing - Updated drawing.
- 336354 Detail-Steam Chase Waterproofing - Updated drawing.
- Section 3
- Division 23 Heating, Ventilating, and Air-Conditioning (HVAC)
- 230594 - Contractor Provided TAB MU - added and available in word format.
- 230900 - JCI Control System MU - added and available in word format.
- 232100 - Building Hydronic Piping and Pump Systems - Updated.
- 232200 - Detail-Pressure Powered Pump (Duplex) - Modified .pdf drawing to correct a condensate trap discharging to a vent line.
- Division 28 Electronic Safety & Security
- 2281300 Access Controls System Design Guidelines (MS&T only)
- 281300 Card Access Door Operator Drawing (MU only - new)
- 281300 Card Access Door Drawing (MU only - new)
- 281300 Card Access Reader Bus Diagram (MU only - new)
- 281300 Electronic Lock Door Operator Drawing (MU only - new)
- 281300 Electronic Lock Door Drawing (MU only - new)
- Division 33 Utilities
- 337313 Liquid Filled Utility Transformers - Modified 1.3.1 for minimum transformer efficiency to meet the most current DOE efficiency standards.
- 336113 CW Junction Box Drawing - Added new .pdf drawing to conform to 336115 modifications.
- 336333 Detail-ABB Swirl Meter Wiring Diagram - This detail has been completely re-worked to reflect changes in what contractor responsibilities are compared to owner. Also is now more specific in cable types.
- Division 23 Heating, Ventilating, and Air-Conditioning (HVAC)